I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer

/ I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Long story... I Recently put an 80 dollar bid on a H&R .38 revolver at a local auction, and got it for $60. I did a little research on it and found out that it is probably pre-1900 vintage. I took it to a gunsmith to see if it was safe to shoot. I finally called him today, and he tells me that he had to replace a few springs, but it's completely safe to shoot.

Here's the kicker. He said ammo is going to be hard to find. He told me that he doesn't carry it but it can be found online.

Where's a good place to buy ammo online? The gunsmith said that I need Smith and Wesson .38 ammo... NOT .38 special. I need the .38 shorts.

This pistol is just a plinker. I don't need anything fancy. I think it will just be a fun gun to get a bigger boom out of when I take the kids shooting with our other guns that are .22 caliber.

/ I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer #2  
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/c-577-38-sw-ammo.aspx

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/66257-5.html

I am not a gun expert. But I don't think this round is accurately called a .38 short. Just .38 Smith & Wesson.

If you check around at some of your local gun stores, I wouldn't be surprised to find a box or two on the shelves. Course they might be a little heavier round than you need for plinking.

Looks like Target Sport has some off brand pretty reasonable.

Have fun plinking!

/ I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer #3  
I always check gun-deals.com and use the ammo deal tab to find the cheap stuff for target practice.

/ I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer #6  
At those prices, I would buy 2 boxes, carefully save the brass, and then start down the road of reloading and bullet casting. It is a new hobby in itself and can really save some bucks, especially in an older harder to find caliber like this. I have reloaded many calibers for a lot of years. If you are serious about reloading and need some help, let me know.

James K0UA

/ I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer #7  
Long story... I Recently put an 80 dollar bid on a H&R .38 revolver at a local auction, and got it for $60. I did a little research on it and found out that it is probably pre-1900 vintage; so I took it to a gunsmith to see if it was safe to shoot. I finally called him today, and he tells me that he had to replace a few springs, but it's completely safe to shoot.

Here's the kicker. He said ammo is going to be hard to find. He told me that he doesn't carry it but it can be found online.

Where's a good place to buy ammo online? The gunsmith said that I need Smith and Wesson .38 ammo... NOT .38 special. I need the .38 shorts.

This pistol is just a plinker. I don't need anything fancy. I think it will just be a fun gun to get a bigger boom out of when I take the kids shooting with our other guns that are .22 caliber.

I have ordered from Widener's on line and have had excellent service and their prices were very good as well...click on ammunition in the link below..
Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

/ I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer #8  
Both mentioned are good places and have ordered plenty from both.

/ I Need a Good Online Ammo Dealer #10  
I've bought ammo from Cabela's and Midway. Cabela's used to be pretty reasonable, but their prices are now at the high end. Midway was very fast and easy to deal with. I'm not sure if they are the cheapest, but the price was good enough that I didn't feel the need to keep searching for a lower price.

Eddie