Bronze Member
    Tractor
    IH 684

Default Old Wagon to Move Dirt

I am thinking of getting an old wagon with a hoist to move some dirt. I have a lot of ditching to do along my driveway and would like to move the dirt to the other side of the property. My main question is how well the dirt will dump out. I have never used one but they can be had around here for around $150 and that us a heck of a lot cheaper than a dump trailer or truck. Here is a picture of what I had in mind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old Wagon to Move Dirt-image-440213279.jpg  

Tractor
    Ford 3910

Default Re: Old Wagon to Move Dirt

I just picked one up myself for the same reasons, I'd love to have a 1 ton dump truck or trailer but the wagon I got for $325 and had to replace a hydraulic hose. Mine is a flat wagon with a 7x14 bed with grain wagon sides and a hoist on Kewanee running gear. I won't be able to have it full to the top of the sides and mounded over but I can mound it from the center to the sides and it should do. Mine goes up high enough and at enough angle to dump dirt and that one should to.

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

I would suggest slicking up the bed prior to loading it with dirt - or you might be doing a lot of shoveling. Ideally, you could load and dump several loads of gravel before using it for dirt. You want that bed shiny!
    Dean

Platinum Member

Default Re: Old Wagon to Move Dirt

As long as it gets enough angle you should be fine. Gravity will do its thing with dirt. Not so much with wet earth or mud.

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

Quote Originally Posted by 2458n
    As long as it gets enough angle you should be fine. Gravity will do its thing with dirt. Not so much with wet earth or mud.
    Yeah that's what I thought...we rented a dump trailer and loaded it up a couple months ago with hand dug dirt. Come time to unload, raised the dump trailer to full height, nothing. Stuck like glue. I had to get the tractor and FEL to scrape it out. Still took a bit of shoveling.

Dirt wasn't bone dry, but sure wasn't wet. It had just a tinge of clay. Sure didn't want to slide on that rusty bed.
    Dean