Thought for the day:

/ Thought for the day: #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
The past several days I have been comparing my life as it was 40 years ago versus today. Back then I had one car, lived in an apartment, had no real toys or tools, and I frequently felt bad because there were all these things I wanted to have but I didn't have the money to buy them or anyplace to keep them.

Skip ahead to the present, and I sometimes feel bad because I have so much s*** now I sometimes resent taking care of everything. In the past few days:

Replace battery on Buick.
Get new tires installed on Saturn
Repair slow leak on JD front tire
Add spare tire mount to utility trailer
Replace tiller drive belt
Rebuild garden gate
Replace broken handle on push mower
Replace starter rope on gas blower
Sharpen chainsaw
Repair keyless entry on garage door
Etc.

The more stuff you have, the more time and money you are going to spend taking care of that stuff. Sometimes I think I was better off NOT having a lot of what I dreamed about having 40 years ago...:laughing:

/ Thought for the day: #2  
Have to agree that some times we get carried away with having things just to have things.

/ Thought for the day: #3  
When you spend all your time "maintaining", you'll know you've reached your limit of growth.

/ Thought for the day: #4  
A family friend use to say "things ain't the way they use to be and never were". It wasn't original, but I liked it.

I have done "with" and "without" and I'll take "with".

I enjoy my "stuff" and if I don't feel like fooling with it, I'll sell it or keep it in the shed.

/ Thought for the day: #5  
I think there is a time when you realize that you have reached your "limit". We are starting to get rid of "things" we have acquired over the past 40 or so years. Pretty tied down to the house, contents, toys, farm animals and all that it entails. We have started the thought of moving/downsizing in the next few years. When it takes 2 full hours to mow all the lawns with a 22 hp riding lawn tractor it seems a bit much.
Some days I wish all I had were the clothes on my back (as well as some money) and free to do whatever. :)

/ Thought for the day: #6  
When you spend all your time "maintaining", you'll know you've reached your limit of growth.

I must be REALLY close to that limit... All I am doing is "maintenance" it seems some days...

David

/ Thought for the day: #7  
Do you own your Things or do your things own you? What no lower case gggggggggggg?????

/ Thought for the day:
I think there is a time when you realize that you have reached your "limit". We are starting to get rid of "things" we have acquired over the past 40 or so years. Pretty tied down to the house, contents, toys, farm animals and all that it entails. We have started the thought of moving/downsizing in the next few years. When it takes 2 full hours to mow all the lawns with a 22 hp riding lawn tractor it seems a bit much.
Some days I wish all I had were the clothes on my back (as well as some money) and free to do whatever. :)

My younger brother has even more crap that I do, I was asking him last month if he remembered the time I moved everything he owned in the world from Jackson, Michigan to Ann Arbor in one trip using a '73 Nova hatchback...part of the stuff was a TEN SPEED BIKE and it was inside the car, and everything fit with the hatch shut....:laughing:

And today, the stuff my brother has just for his three dogs (houses, beds, food, toys, etc) would probably fill up that car in itself.