Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Default Coyotes, Foxes, and Lyme Disease

I just ran across this item: Lyme Disease Outfoxes Deer: Scientific American Podcast

According to the boffins: more coyotes lead to fewer foxes, fewer foxes lead to more small mammals, more small mammals lead to more deer ticks, more deer ticks lead to more Lyme disease.

Steve

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Default Re: Coyotes, Foxes, and Lyme Disease

I'll have to tell The Plant Manager. We have a resident fox that has dug a hole under an oak tree about 50' from our house. The Plant Manager filled the hole in and the fox dug it back out. This is starting to look like a skirmish trending toward all out war. The fox made a racket the night the hole was filled in, at one point right under our bedroom window. Hoping the word from the boffins quells the hostilities.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    Kubota L45

Quote Originally Posted by smstonypoint View Post
    I just ran across this item: Lyme Disease Outfoxes Deer: Scientific American Podcast

According to the boffins: more coyotes lead to fewer foxes, fewer foxes lead to more small mammals, more small mammals lead to more deer ticks, more deer ticks lead to more Lyme disease.

Steve
    Synthesized in a Plum Island Laboratory, Lyme Disease is just another form of biowarfare: Building 257 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, they're being released in the Southeast: New ticks spread across Southeast, diseases rise | Fox News

Seeing "Stony Point," I was living on my boat in Haverstraw Marina, about 1985 when I noticed the proverbial red blotch on my belly. Fortunately, antibiotics knocked it out, then . . . !

Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

Quote Originally Posted by ButchHowdy View Post
    Synthesized in a Plum Island Laboratory, Lyme Disease is just another form of biowarfare: Building 257 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, they're being released in the Southeast: New ticks spread across Southeast, diseases rise | Fox News

Seeing "Stony Point," I was living on my boat in Haverstraw Marina, about 1985 when I noticed the proverbial red blotch on my belly. Fortunately, antibiotics knocked it out, then . . . !
    Welcome to TBN Butch.....But this is a strange first post for a new member - complete with additional reference material no less. Makes me wonder.

Are you saying that you feel someone is releasing ticks as a means of warfare on the USA population?
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

We used to have foxes around the house but I have not seen them in years. I THINK I heard them at night recently but it could have been coyotes as well. I know we have coyotes but I have only see one, once, but I do hear them howling at dusk on some nights.

Given that rodents are one of the vectors for Lyme, and I assume other tick borne illnesses, any increase in rodents is a problem. Course the deer are a problem too. They got our seedlings I had started. I need to fill up the freezer next hunting season...

What is strange though is that over the last few years I have seen a large number of rabbits. A person commented on the increase in rabbits on our local county focused website. In the past I NEVER saw rabbits and I thought it was because of the foxes, coyotes, hawks and owls. This year we had 3-4 rabbits hanging around the gate though I have only seen 1-2 lately. I think the rabbits fed the carnivores.

The deer this time of years are just covered in ticks. Makes me sick to look at the deer whose ears are just covered in ticks. Disgusting.

Later,
    Dan

Tractor
    Kubota L45

Hey Foggy, Just saw those buzz words 'Stony Point & Lyme' and it brought back some old memories, and how easy it was to be a victim of the infamous deer tick, the aching joints and blurred vision.

I knew a contractor who did some improvements on Plum Island and he told me of the security and showering processes one endured, and rightfully so, for it is an animal disease control center/laboratory but it wasn't until 2008 where I saw a possible connection: Montauk Monster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, I must focus on my new career - I've taken the kubota Plunge, lured by all their zeros! It's all good!