Electric Fencing (remote)

/ Electric Fencing (remote) #1  

pdxman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B6200 HST
Anyone out there use electric fencing that is powered by solar/battery? I would like to set up an area for the horses to rotate thru that has no electrical access and string several hundred feet of wire. Is it effective? Any limitations?

/ Electric Fencing (remote) #2  
I'm not using any electric fences myself, but they're all over everywhere in this area (central Texas), and neighbors tell me they work just fine. Naturally the solar powered chargers can let a battery go down occasionally if you have long periods of cloudy weather with no sunshine. It seems that goats are getting more and more popular around here and a lot of folks have nothing but electric fencing with the battery/solar chargers in addition to the ones for cattle and horses.

Bird

/ Electric Fencing (remote) #3  
i spent @6 years as a repair shop, warranty and non-warranty; for several brands of fence chargers; not all fence chargers are equal, and you do not always get what you pay for; i did test several battery powered units, and for the money, i would go with a parmac unit. (spelling may be wrong) its parker/mccrory or something like that; the 12volt model has enough output to stop most critters, the 6volt is cheaper, doesn't have as much output, but worked well on cows that had already been trained via a ac powered charger; a friend uses a 6volt to keep critters, including bears, out of his garden and bee hives, he says it works fine..you can pay a lot more and get the High dollar units, but i have access to a lot of chargers, and i use the parmac..
heehaw