Anybody else here love radishes?

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
I just polished off a third of a pound of fresh sliced red radishes, dipped in honey mustard and lightly salted. My wife thinks I am nuts because I enjoy them so much...but she will go thru a half bag of potato chips when she has a craving. Not sure what it is but I just love fresh radishes. For $1.19 a pound in the produce department for bulk radishes (no greens) I don't think you can buy a less expensive and healthy snack.

If only I could wean myself from the salt....:laughing:

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #2  
I really enjoy them fresh picked. They don't seem as hot as those that I shy away from stoe bought. And the home grown ones don't upset my lower end like oher radish products do. My black rasberries didn't produce like all previous years, probably because its so dry. Rasberries and ice cream are my current main course desert. The radishes are best when I outside haying. They force you to drink a lot of water and gatorade. No bad aftertaste, either.

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #3  
I like radishes when they are crisp and not too hot. When they get like horseradish or they are pithy, I don't like them. Generally, pulling them while they are small and/or buying smaller ones will prevent them from being pithy.

I use No Salt on everything. It's potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. If you don't have to limit your potassium, it is pretty good when you get used to it, but it ain't as cheap as regular salt.

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #4  
Radishes with coarse bread, and maybe some cheddar cheese, blueberry juice or a little dark beer - any time of day- is a satisfying meal!

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #5  
I like them also, fresh out of the ground or sliced up in salads. Just planted another couple rows of them a few days ago and they're already up.

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #6  
I fished lake Erie for years out of a town called Erieau, Ont. Canada. Every June they had a crop of giant radishes. They were sweet. Did not require any salt or dip on them. Need to make a trip back there soon,

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #7  
Several years ago when I had the opportunity to spend a week in Munich, Germany during Octoberfest I loved the way they served radishes in the beer halls. Curly cut (continuous cut) radishes and then we dipped in salt as we drank beer. So good I can almost taste it now...

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #8  
Why not grow your own?
For $1.19 a pound in the produce department for bulk radishes (no greens) I don't think you can buy a less expensive and healthy snack.
They grow like a weed here, big fat ones. I love em too. I don't put anything on them and I don't slice them, just eat the he!! out of of them, even for breakfast. Tomatoes, radishes, and eggs.
This year our turnips had termites. Yes the turnips were tunnel though with termites

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #9  
One of the highlights of spring is having the first home grown radishes. I like to slice them and make a radish sandwich. One of the real delicacies in my world.

South of Munchen, Germany is a monastery -Kloister Andech. They have served radish sandwiches on dark bread with a stein of locally brewed beer. If you are ever in the area you should stop and have some of each.

/ Anybody else here love radishes? #10  
I can't even remember the last time we bought any radishes, seems to be something we just never think about. However, when we had a garden, we ate lots of them, nearly all were the round red ones. I planted them early in the year, so they'd all be gone before this time of year. But then I planted turnips in the Fall, so I tried planting a second crop of radishes, too. As Jim said, I sure don't want them pithy, and large ones usually are, but for some reason . . . well, the picture was made November 4, 2001, and some radishes were almost 2" diameter, yet were firm and sweet all the way through. And the picture of the 5" and 6" diameter turnips was made January 15, 2002, and they were still sweet and firm all the way through.

Attachments

• P1150043.JPG
    P1150043.JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PB040003.JPG
    PB040003.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 72