Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4110

Default CBS NEWS story "Grass linked to Texas cattle deaths"

I have no first hand knowledge, just read the news story and decided to pass it on !!!!
    "Tifton 85 grass, which has been here for years, had suddenly started producing cyanide gas, poisoning the cattle." Here is the
    link
    Grass linked to Texas cattle deaths - CBS News
    Buck
    My tractor is not a toy, its one of many tools of the trade, 2002 Mahindra 4110

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Default Re: CBS NEWS story "Grass linked to Texas cattle deaths"

In reading the comments, this story was apparently poorly reported and rife with non-facts. The suspected cause of the cattle deaths was prussic acid poisoning.Prussic Acid Poisoning Apparently, the reporter had no clue. Surprising, huh? Of course the Neo-Luddites are quick to pounce upon supposedly "genetically modified" grass as the culprit.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

I'm not sure that I understand the point you are making. Cyanide gas and Prussic acid are one and the same...Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN). While I was aware that some plants produce it in quantities high enough to kill animals (green almonds are reputed to kill birds under certain conditions), I was not aware that grass was ever a culprit.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 5105, 3005, and '49 8n

Facts don't matter to the drive-by media, just the story. NBC is a prime example.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

Prussic acid is something dad talked about in the 1930's.

The fella had a field of Tifton - it's a hybred (NOT a gmo, fer crying out loud!!!!) with one of the parent plants known for prussic acid concerns.

So he had a drought, he fertilized the grass, the drought finally ended with 5 inches of rain, the grass grew like gangbusters, and he turned his hungry cows into the fresh lush grass.

Could there _BE_ a more perfect setup for prussic acid, a well known, for centuries problem?????

And this moron reporter for CBS can't research for 10 minutes to figure out this is not a GMO, and that this is a naturally tho rare occuring thing that's happened for centuries?????

He has to come up with some fabricated horror story of some GMO grass creating a poison gas???????

Moron.

--->Paul

Tractor
    Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920

They changed the article and posted a correction. The article does not mention any genetic modifications at this time.
    Too bad that guy lost 15 cattle. I wonder if the grass will loose it's toxicity after a time or not. Does the acid come from growing too much too fast?

Sorta related but different:

Back when I was a kid I recall that cattle were never let loose for long times in full standing field of alphalfa As they could bloat and die?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    Prussic acid is something dad talked about in the 1930's.

The fella had a field of Tifton - it's a hybred (NOT a gmo, fer crying out loud!!!!) with one of the parent plants known for prussic acid concerns.

So he had a drought, he fertilized the grass, the drought finally ended with 5 inches of rain, the grass grew like gangbusters, and he turned his hungry cows into the fresh lush grass.

Could there _BE_ a more perfect setup for prussic acid, a well known, for centuries problem?????

And this moron reporter for CBS can't research for 10 minutes to figure out this is not a GMO, and that this is a naturally tho rare occuring thing that's happened for centuries?????

He has to come up with some fabricated horror story of some GMO grass creating a poison gas???????

Moron.

--->Paul
    Now that you mention it, I recall when I was in high school, and in FFA, we were told that Johnson grass was poisionous to cattle under certain conditions. I suspect this may be the reason. Not the same as green alfalfa causing bloat, which can also be fatal to cattle, but not a poisonous reaction. We were shown how to use a "trocar" to puncture the cow's stomach, thus relieving the gas and the resultant pressure on the cow's internal organs.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Platinum Member
    under the elephant\'s tail [ ontario can.]
    Tractor
    john deere 3130, universal

Is this along the same lines as grass tetony. Something I wouldn't know how to recognise but have grown up hearing about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast