Do hummingbird feeders work?

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
We put up some hummingbird feedere for my mother-in-law, age 91, who lives with us now but there have only been a couple birds visit in the first two weeks. We did everything as instructed and use the bottled sugar water. Is this the way it works? Does it take time for the birds to find it and learn to come back or are there better flower sources closer to them? We put up a few feeders and spaced them far enough apart because we heard they are territorial but still, just those few visits. Well, an oriole stopped twice as well.
Do your hummungbird feeders work and do you have any advice?

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #2  
We have had ours up for over 20 years, and this time of year need an air traffic controller to help with the traffic jams. It does take time, and I don't know about the numbers of those birds in your area. Seems like the first couple of years were a little slow. Good luck with your MIL, hopefully she will see some in a year or two.

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #3  
We only have one up this year cause we can't keep them filled. We have several birds at a time on the one. It is a 4 cup feeder and we make our own food. one cup beet sugar, and four cups water, bring to a boil stirring occasionally and let it cool.

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #5  
Give it time...the birds have to discover it.

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #6  
For some reason, we only have a couple of hummingbirds this year. Usually we have 30-40 and like Pete said, they need an air traffic controller.

Yes, the feeders work. My wife usually has trouble keeping two filled. She just uses sugar mixed with water.

She usually puts them up in April.

We miss our usual horde.

Ken

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #7  
What's your formula for the feeder?

/ Do hummingbird feeders work?
What's your formula for the feeder?

We use the commercial stuff because we don't know any better and someone told me if you mix your own--and do it the wrong way--you can actually harm the birds?

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #9  
My wife uses a 1/4 cup of sugar and fills the rest of the cup with hot water. The next morning she fills her feeders. We only have half of the birds we've had in the past years. Not sure if they didn't make it over the winter as they have to travel great distances.

On another note, my wife has put one out in florida during the months we are there and have seen no activity.

Good luck, stay vigilant, keep the food fresh and they will return year after year and bring their extended family.

/ Do hummingbird feeders work? #10  
Mixing your own sugar water is just fine. Just do not use honey or artificial sweeteners. Keep it in the refrigerator, and if you are not getting many birds, do not fill the feeder all the way or clean and replace the food every few days in this heat so the sugar water does not begin to grow bacteria. It will take awhile for the birds to find it, and additional flowers in the area will help as well as evergreens and other trees for nesting and resting areas. Good luck.