Toilet flapper help please

/ Toilet flapper help please #21  
I must be living right, I've been a homeowner for over 20 years, and I think I've only replaced the guts to a toilet once. The problem wasn't the flapper either, but the valve.

/ Toilet flapper help please #22  
NOPE i am not confused about anything, this flapper is allegedly adjustable to control the amount of water released from the tank during a flush..

Brian

Per the linked website, it states "•Dials to adjust volume for a custom flush."
Did it have instructions on how to "dial"?

To lower the water level, just bend the rod that holds the float (spherical plastic thing) to the flush valve. A little bend can do the job...and you can always bend it more, if necessary.

/ Toilet flapper help please
I must be living right, I've been a homeowner for over 20 years, and I think I've only replaced the guts to a toilet once. The problem wasn't the flapper either, but the valve.

my wife liked to use in-tank chlorine toilet cleaners which seem to warp the flappers.. We are also on a well with slightly hard water, which also may be the cause..

Brian

Per the linked website, it states "•Dials to adjust volume for a custom flush."
Did it have instructions on how to "dial"?

To lower the water level, just bend the rod that holds the float (spherical plastic thing) to the flush valve. A little bend can do the job...and you can always bend it more, if necessary.

The OLD flapper had a dial on the topside from 'max' to 'min' - I BELIEVE, that the dial some how that adjusted how much water is let into the flapper so it closed quicker.. BUT im not sure..

The NEW flapper I bought had a similar dial on the underside of the flapper (on the end of the 'bulb' that goes into the channel leading to the toilet) - and what it appears to do is control how much water leaves the bulb - which I assume if there water in the bulb the weight will close the valve quicker..

Our toilets dont have the rod, it has a float that rides on the water input valve..

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE - do your toilets completely empty the tank on each flush? Are your toiled the 1.6 gpf models or the older ones that used 2.5 or or gallons?

Brian

Last edited:
   / Toilet flapper help please #25  
QUESTION FOR EVERYONE - do your toilets completely empty the tank on each flush?

Brian

Yes, ours do (we have two commodes). As written in a previous post, we adjust the quantity of water in the tank by the float.

/ Toilet flapper help please #27  
I have changed many a valve and the problem ended up being the chain would bind and stop the flapper from closing, I trimmed of the chain ends and it stopped the problem.

/ Toilet flapper help please #28  
DO what i said and Fix your float so that it dosent fill all the way up. You either bend the rod(down) if its the round type float or you adjust the fkoat if its a verticle float by reducing the height of the fill valve depending upon model.

DO what i said and Fix your float so that it dosent fill all the way up. You either bend the rod(down) if its the round type float or you adjust the fkoat if its a verticle float by reducing the height of the fill valve depending upon model.

two posts above your, you will see that I did lower the water level - but it only lowered it <2" then i ran out of adjustment..

I just measured and it is taking 2.5 gallons of water per flush - so it is way out of spec for the 1.6 gallons it is designed to use.

It would have never left the factory using more than 1.6 gallons per flush, and when new it didnt empty the tank with each flush - so the flapper has to be the issue..

Adjusting the water level will help lower water consumption - but it still isnt fixing the issue..

its sorta like you buy a tractor and it uses 1.6 gallons of fuel per hour.. then you changed the fuel filter and now it uses 2.5 gallons per hour - no one would be happy with the the higher consumption, they would want to know why/how that part increased the consumption.

thanks for all the tips/ideas/suggestions..

brian

/ Toilet flapper help please #30  
Sorry i opened the page and ate dinner and watched tv so i did not see any of the posts till i posted and you pointed out the activity.

Me i like the higher water consumption. The new toilets dont seem to flush well. But i guess one designed to flush 1.6 wont flush any better with 2 gals?

Is the fill valve you have designed for a low flow toilet?

In the long run is it a big deal? Are you worried cause your water is really expensive or worried about the extra load on a septic system?

Water is sold by the thousand gallons and my water only costs $3/thousand. so if a toilet is flushed 5x per day your using an extra 150 gallons a month or if you flush the toilet 15x per day your only using an extra 450 gallons a day. Even at water 2x as expensive as mine your only looking at what $3 month.