Toilet flapper help please

/ Toilet flapper help please #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
We have been in our house (built new) for 6 yrs in October.. So far I have already replaced the toilet flappers in 2 commodes at least once, maybe twice.. Now they are both leaking again (very slightly, but they are leaking)..

Why do they leak?

What is the best replacement for them?

Last time I bought 'adjustable flush' flappers from Lowes - they had an adjustment to control the amount of water used during a flush.. On one commode I was able to get it set so you it only used about 1/3 to 1/4 of the water in the tank to flush and still get a complete flush.. On the other toilet (same style, just a handicap height) will empty the entire bowl on every flush no mater how i adjusted it OR you didnt get a complete flush..

Suggestions on a good/better flapper?

Suggestions on a better 'flapper system' to just replace the entire ring/flapper system.

Brian

/ Toilet flapper help please #2  
How do the bad ones look? Are they warped? Getting stiff and cracking? Are you on a well or do you have city/county water? Do you use any type of submerged toilet tank chemical pellet? (10,000 flushes etc.) The cheap ones with beach can be hard on rubber seals.

Replacing every 3-4 years doesn't seem terribly unreasonable. I think 1-2 years would be unreasonable. Personally, I'd just switch try a different brand- or stop by the local plumbing supply store (where the plumbers shop) and ask them for what the licensed plumbers buy.

/ Toilet flapper help please #3  
This is not an unusual failure rate. Buying a better quality flapper does help. Well water may impact the life.

/ Toilet flapper help please #4  
Chlorine will make the flapper distort. It happened to me. If you have any type of chlorine water treatment or if someone is using some type of bowl treatment in the tank you may have this.
Get rid of any excess chlorine and you will find the clapper issue may subside.

/ Toilet flapper help please #5  
A temporary fix that works sometimes is to turn off the water to the commode, flush it and use a spong to remove as much water from the tank as your can.
Then clean off both the flapper and opening to the bowl...use a paper towel or old rag. Deposits from well water can prevent a good seal on the flapper.
If the flapper feels stiff when you're cleaning it...may as well replace it...so it wouldn't hurt to have a replacement on hand when you're cleaning. You'll need it, sooner or later.

/ Toilet flapper help please #6  
Usually you adjust the amount of water in a "flush" with the float. You just set it to cut off lower.In the old school ball float type this is just as simple as bending that brass or steel rod that holds the float. The newer or more expensive designs sometimes have vertically riding floats on the shaft the water fills from(fill valve) you then set this float height to the amount of water you desire, which corresponds to height of the water column in the tank. But with todays low flow sorry flush toilets (like what 1.3 gallons) i dont see why anyone would want to change them out? Unless your concerned with filling the septic tank with to much water?

Flappers cant help you there, its obviously something in your water. Whether your on a well (minerals) or on city water (chlorine) something is causing them to fail early. But i would think the rubber they use now would compensate for all these things? I been in my home (old home just new to me) for like 4 years at least one toilet i replaced flapper when we moved in as well as fill valve. I have not touched it since and as far as i can tell it dosent leak a drop, or so little i cant tell or worry? And i just bought the cheapest one (probably) that lowes or walmart sells, a $1 or $2 at most. All i can say it to get a new flapper and adjust the water to your desire with the float and save the money on those fancy flappers that dont seem to last 2 yrs?

/ Toilet flapper help please #7  
Yea Roy, i try to have most of the common toilet things on hand, flappers etc. Dont think i have a fill valve here, but at the farm i have everything to rebuild a toilet down to tank bolts and washers. It has one toilet in the house and its 30 mins to get parts on a weekend when were there. id rather just have them on hand.

/ Toilet flapper help please
We are on a well and have used the in-tank toilet cleaners (with bleach) in the past.. So taht is probably part of the culprit..

I havent pulled any of the old one off yet, I was planning on buying the replacements first. But it would make sense to take a look a the old ones for an idea of the issue.. Ill do that soon..

The other day I didnt let the tank go dry and wiped down the ring and underside of the flapper thinking it may have a build-up of something causing the leak.. I did not pay attention to how stiff the flapper was though..

Thanks for the help

Brian

/ Toilet flapper help please #9  
I just installed a new (replacement) toilet in my camp. I actually read all the instructions that came with it and it clearly states not to use any in tank chemicals.

/ Toilet flapper help please #10  
once my girlfriend decided to use pool tablets in the tank of all of the toilets in the house. Every bathroom smelled like a swimming pool. I thought she was cleaning with bleach or something and then the toilets started to go one after the other. I was fixing toilets every weekend and then I found a remnant of one of those tablets in the tank.
LUUUUCYY! :mad::mur:
("I love Lucy" reference.....for those of us who are over the hill...Ricky Ricardo?)
She doesn't do that anymore. :dance1: