Propane BBQ Type 1 system

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
The newer type 1 (OPD) gave me fits this weekend on my BBQ. No gas getting to the burners. Well after three different regulators and two different tanks 5 gallons and talking with the Local Weekend BBQ store (their expert). I still could not get any gas to the burners. Slowly checking EACH component. I found the culprit. A check valve in the hose adapter that connects to the tank. I won't go into detail as to how I "fixed" this problem but I now have gas getting to the burners. My question is: Any one else out there had a no flow or low flow issue with their BBQ's . Is there a fitting available that does not have the internal check valve?. I spent six hours of frustration trying to resolve this issue and there wasn't any knowlegeable person that knew of this "check Valve". bjr

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system
in the manifold, the stem that threads to the tank connection. bjr

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system
Okay, after some serious research, I've found out the check valve is called " a Flow Limiting Device". The local informed experts don't have any knowledge or refuse to talk about this thing. I'm not sure what a good work around there would be, but, you essentially have shut down and turn back on the grill by opeing the tank valve "SLOWLY" as the legitimate fix. What a PITA. bjr

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system #5  
bjr;Any one else out there had a no flow or low flow issue with their BBQ's . bjr[/QUOTE said:
I've had this problem with 2 separate grills. I exchanged the gas bottle on the first grill and the problem went away. It recently happened on the second grill last week and I disconnected the hose to make sure there was still propane left in the bottle and it worked after I reattached the hose. It's rather annoying that this happens so I guess I will research your fix since you didn't mention what exactly you did.

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system #6  
The tank valve needs to be closed, burners need to be off. Open tank valve, open burner valve, light. Check valve in tank should not let gas flow unless there is some pressure in the line.

I had a good one about a year ago the guys at work were going to grill burgers for lunch I usually ended up cooking on the new grill and was familiar with it. We got back to the shop and the new guys had the grill out in the hot sun said it was on for about 1/2 hour. I open the lid and asked where was the flame? Of course it is on feel the top, was the reply what a surprise when I showed them how to light a grill. Real fire inside and hot enough to cook on.

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system #8  
Re: Propane BBQ Type 1 system See Attached File

Okay, I remember this as the cure for some of the massive fires and blow-outs on the old style propane grilles..Surprised the fix is complicated?? Part of it was the new design tank system and valve change over.."Old system tanks shall not be serviced or filled"

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system #9  

my RV has this flow limiter/ shut off device. I'm sure this device was brought about from law suits. It is to detect a gas leak or a large amount of flow at once such as a broken line.Some inspectors (Depending on where I work) will require my to install 1 of these on gas appliances

/ Propane BBQ Type 1 system #10  

yes, I am glad they had one on out 2 inch pipeline out Front...natural gas,,polly line blew out a heat sealed joint. I had no gas volumn at house. light up , then blow out the furnace.. about drove me nuts, until I guaged the supply...Very low flow, gas company finally came out, smelled gas and corrected lines.. then like Magic, my furnace worked okay again..??