Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL 3940

Default Coral Snakes

We've lived in our place now for over two years and have come across a variety of snakes. They don't bother me generally but my wife has a problem with them which gets them either killed (if poisonous) or relocated. The post is about coral snakes so I'll get to it. I have come across more coral snakes in this area in the last two years than I have seen in my whole life of 50+ years. Just killed another this morning. I've either seen or heard from neighbors and wife of 5 this year. 2-3 last year. I'd always thought they were kinda hard to come across but they seem as common as rat snakes. Just an observation. Any one else have an active population of these in their area? And yes I'm sure they were coral's rather than the similar scarlet king snake.
    Kubota GL 3940, FEL w/ssqa, third function valve, grapple, 6' Landpride cutter, 6' landscape rake, 6' box blade, post hole auger

"Knowledge is knowing the street is one way. Wisdom is still looking both ways before crossing"

Silver Member
    Tractor
    3000 Ford 66' 260A International Backhoe

Default Re: Coral Snakes

That sounds really odd. We have coral snakes so I've been told. Been around here about 60 years never seen one.

You might could read up on them and find out why your place is such a good habitat for them. They wouldn't be there if they didn't find something real attractive. You might have to change something in the area so they will go find another home.

Those little boggers are scary poisonous and from their pictures are cute enough for a child to want to play with it.
    I've got a cutting torch and a welder sooo YEAH it'll fit!!

Tractor
    JD 4700

Why kill the Coral Snakes? Yes they are poisonous but they do not have fangs so they have to gnaw on a body part to inject their poison. Their mouths are also small which limits what part of the body they can gnaw to inject poison. Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, etc around the house are a different story.

I have only seen one Coral Snake that I can remember and that was many decades ago.

Later,
    Dan

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Txdon just west of you in Lee County has plenty. He's posted photos of coral snakes and copperheads.
    Jim

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL 3940

Quote Originally Posted by dmccarty View Post
    Why kill the Coral Snakes? Yes they are poisonous but they do not have fangs so they have to gnaw on a body part to inject their poison. Their mouths are also small which limits what part of the body they can gnaw to inject poison. Copperheads, Rattlesnakes, etc around the house are a different story.

I have only seen one Coral Snake that I can remember and that was many decades ago.

Later,
    Dan
    I won't handle a poisonous snake but don't want them around the house or property because of my dogs and family and friends that visit with children sometimes. Simplest and safest solution for me is to kill them. Others may or may not feel the same and I have no argument for the live and let live crowd which is my general rule. This is my exception which makes the rule I guess. Just very surprised at the number(s) of them around here.
    Kubota GL 3940, FEL w/ssqa, third function valve, grapple, 6' Landpride cutter, 6' landscape rake, 6' box blade, post hole auger

"Knowledge is knowing the street is one way. Wisdom is still looking both ways before crossing"

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL 3940

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    Txdon just west of you in Lee County has plenty. He's posted photos of coral snakes and copperheads.
    Also a lot of copperheads around our area as well. Our dog was bit by one last year. Not a pretty sight. I've dispatched several as well as rattlers. Just good snake country around here I guess. Lots of woods, loose soil, under brush and tall grass/weeds. Have yet to see a water moccasin even though we have a small pond and the river is less than a half mile away.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I have only seen two coral snakes during my lifetime. One was in Tennessee and one was at Fort Jackson in SC where I took basic. Fun Facts About Coral Snakes | eHow.com
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

dumb question probably, but you sure they aren't scarlet king snakes?
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota GL 3940

Quote Originally Posted by schoolsout View Post
    dumb question probably, but you sure they aren't scarlet king snakes?
    See last sentence of the original post. So,Yep, very sure. Getting too familiar with these guys. if the buzzards or pigs haven't grabbed it I'll get a picture later this afternoon.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Quote Originally Posted by RTII View Post
    See last sentence of the original post. So,Yep, very sure. Getting too familiar with these guys. if the buzzards or pigs haven't grabbed it I'll get a picture later this afternoon.
    I think that was the only sentence I didn't read....and I was looking for someone to mention king snakes
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast