Horsefly target not working?

/ Horsefly target not working? #1  

jonyyuma

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952
Hi, I built the horse fly target..It is supposed to fool the fly..he flys into the black center as a escape and hits the metal backing, knocking himself silly and falling into water and croaking, or dying?? I must have one of the borders wrong as it is over 2 feet across..I am not able to post a photo, as i lost the Zip chip to computer.. Have mercy on me and show me your pictures if you have a horsefly zapper.. I know they work if proper diminsions..Think I need more black on outside edges???:dance1:

/ Horsefly target not working? #4  
That's pretty neat!

/ Horsefly target not working?
Thanks for the video...$300.00 is a little steep for now. The trap I was building is the frame, with a black center..A white frame around it about 18 inches square, then a black panel to each side...The fly knocks himself out hitting the black center and falls into soapy water container below and drowns...I am thinking my white frame is too small?? After all the fly is trying to enter a tunnel?? Maybe my center garbage bag is not black enough??

/ Horsefly target not working? #6  
k0ua said:
here is one in action:

horse pal.mov - YouTube

James K0UA

Whoa! That is pretty slick! Fortunately, we don't have that many horse flies around our house. If we did I think I might have to invest or create something similar. !

If no Horseflys, then be very thankful..They sneak up on you and saw into your back..Hopefully I will get the square target to work on them. I do not raise any livestock, but the neighbors love horses..

/ Horsefly target not working? #8  
If no Horseflys, then be very thankful..They sneak up on you and saw into your back..Hopefully I will get the square target to work on them. I do not raise any livestock, but the neighbors love horses..

I wish I could be of some help, but I have no experience in making these horsefly targets.

James K0UA

I wish I could be of some help, but I have no experience in making these horsefly targets.

James K0UA
Thanks James, Maybe you won't have to research it at Branson...I believe that they are slacking off here too??Maybe because i have been avoiding the heat here. It is at 100 again today...at least we had a half inch of rain on Sunday??

/ Horsefly target not working? #10  
I don't know if this works, but I got it in an email. Sure is cheap enough to give it a try.

Zip Lock Baggies...........who knew...Did you??

ZIP LOCK BAG - Good tip!
We went with friends to a restaurant on Sunday for lunch and sat in
the patio section beside the store. We happened to notice zip lock baggies
pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each
contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally we were curious!
The owner told us that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally we
were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open
window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there
were no flies in the eating area! This morning I checked this out on Google.
Below are comments on this fly control idea. I'm now a believer!

Zip-lock water bags

#1 Says:
I tried the zip lock bag and pennies this weekend.. I have a horse
trailer. The flies were bad while I was camping. I put the baggies with
pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer.
The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!
#2 Says:
Fill a zip lock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area.
In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight passage way
for insects. Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away.
Some say that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some other insect nest and
are threatened.
#3 Says:
I swear by the plastic bag of water trick. I have them on porch and
basement. We saw these in Northeast Mo. at an Amish grocery store
& have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection
& won't come around.

#4 Says:
Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that the
millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies
have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and
movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are prey for many other
bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much
perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just
yanking my city boy chain but I tried it and it worked immediately! We went from
hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long.