how to tell old chickens from young ones.

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #1  

ihookem

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota 7510 hst
Here's my problem, the coons killed all my laying hens so I went on Craigslist and got 6. The guy said they were 1 yr old. I only got them yesterday but in 24 hrs they have not layed an egg. I'm wondering if I was shnookered into buying a bunch of old hens. Anyone here know how to tell an old hen from a young one?
IMG_1141.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #2  
I wouldn't worry too much yet, they could be stressed out. If not laying consistently after a week start to worry. About aging chickens I am no help.

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #3  
Check the chicken's lower legs (aka shanks). Older birds tend to have larger and rougher shanks than younger ones. A younger chicken's shanks are smooth.

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #4  
Chickens don't like change and any move upsets them for a few days.

rekees4300 is right about the shanks, too.

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #5  
Old chickens are tough and chewy. Young chickens are tender and juicy.
Hope this helps :mischievous:

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #6  
they may have finished their first egg cycle and it will be a while before they get going again

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #7  
I believe the combs of young birds are redder than on old birds. The more eggs they lay the more faded they become.

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #8  
I agree about the stress. They need some time to get adjusted, and rehydrated. Chickens need lots of water and calcium. Their waddles, ear lobes, legs, and comb fade when they do not have enough, so they look pretty good right now, but I think that stress is most likely the cause. Chickens learn from the example, so you can put an egg, or even a fake egg in their nesting box to help teach them. I would also keep an eye out for signs of broken eggs. If they have been eating their eggs, they have developed a very bad habit that is almost impossible to break them of. I would just give it some time, and make sure that they are also getting enough sunlight each day, or they will molt, and you will have to wait even longer. Fresh water, sunlight, a good layer feed with calcium, and time to adjust should take care of the issue. I hope they work out well. We have had hens for years on our farm, and we have also had to recently replace our flock, thanks to a hungry fox. You could invest in electric poultry netting, but it usually runs about $180+, so it is not cheap. We just took chicken wire, and lined the bottom of their run, covered it with sand, lined the sides, and the top, so it is completely enclosed, with no room for anything to get it, or out. We had to do this, after we had two hens pulled under the wire. I hope they work out for you!

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #9  
Old chickens are tough and chewy. Young chickens are tender and juicy.
Hope this helps :mischievous:

You are SO BAD!

I don't have an answer, but i got suckered like this last year, and of the 6 I have left which we call "grannys" 4 are still laying almost every day NOW. It took months, but good living and they got healthy again and they are laying.

One is so Old looking I suspect to find her dead any day now... but she's been like that for many months.

Best of luck.

I HATE Racoons (and foxes).

David

/ how to tell old chickens from young ones. #10  
Our hens are from three sources, 4 that we raised and six others that we've had passed to us by people who couldn't or no longer wanted to keep them. They are all nearly 3 years old. I find that the summer eat negatively effects egg production. We get more than we need. Funny how we expect the sickliest to die any day but I've been surprised to occasionally find dead birds that appear in rude health. So far the coons haven't got any but a barn owl popped one's head off. I'll be happy when our flock is down to 6-8. I've passed some rescues on that were good layers. Backyard poultry is pretty popular and free youngish hens pop up constantly around here.