Bias or Radial tires for a Trailer

/ Bias or Radial tires for a Trailer #21  
I run radial tires on all my trailers. My livestock and dual tandem flatbed trailers use LT235/85R16 E tires. Lately I've been buying BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires that are made in the USA. I haven't used bias ply tires since the '70's.

/ Bias or Radial tires for a Trailer #22  
Don't radials flat spot if you leave them sitting for long periods of time? Does it matter? My impression is that the choice of tires would be related to how much the trailer will be used (daily/weekly/monthly or less) and how much weight will be on it. Also you have to consider the types of roads you'll tow over along with weather conditions. If I spend the "big bucks" on radials and then let the trailer sit for long periods of time, am I really gonna see a return on my investment? I've always bought good bias-ply tires for my light weight utility trailers. My 14k lb dump trailer has 16' load range E radial tires from the manufacturer. No matter what type of tire you have, keeping the proper inflation pressure and well balanced tires is a large portion of ensuring long life.

/ Bias or Radial tires for a Trailer
NOW we are getting honest, real, and not just running up a thread count respones.......THANKS guys.....I have also been running radials on my Airstream and other RV type trailers for a lot of years now.....But this time as I have to buy 5 tires, counting the spare, and yes, it is gonna set for months at a time, I thought I might just consider the bias ply.....ESPECIALLY since in the last lets say 5K miles over the last 3 years I have had 4 blowouts with radial ST trailer tires............YES I WATCH INFLATIONS, BALANCE, how old the tire is, and dont really go much over 60 mph................God bless........Dennis

/ Bias or Radial tires for a Trailer #24  
See thread for addition info http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/246221-trailer-tire-wear.html

I have radials on my RV trailer (7.5K) that I have been using since 2003. Had one blowout that was quite violent. Tire was properly inflated and not hot, 50 mile prior when I stopped for fuel and did my normal checks. I have had one flat that was a slow leak and caught before it was totally flat and one that went flat while filling the fuel tank. Total mileage on those tires since 2003 is probably 50K. Wear has been great and three of the originals are still there with two replacements. The older ones are soon to go due to age.

I have bias tires on my equipment trailer (10K) I have a total of about 2K miles on the trailer as it it used for short hauling only and bought it in mid 2007. The tires have more wear on them after 1-2K miles than the radials do after 50K. I have had 9 flat tires in that time no blowouts but have only had it over 50 mph for less than 200 miles on two occasions. It tows great stable as a rock but the tire wear is horrible. I have replace 2 of the original OEM tires with what the dealer says are the best trailer Bias tires made in my size. He has been trying to get me to switch to radials but so far I have resisted as I did not want to mix and match or buy 5 new tires with tread left on the old ones.

Last edited:
   / Bias or Radial tires for a Trailer #25  
If you have 16" wheels and want a premium tire, you can't do better than the Michelin XPS Rib XPS Rib | Michelin Tires If I did a lot of hauling these are the tires I would have an my trailers.