Pipeline easement negotiating

/ Pipeline easement negotiating
It would help to know what state you are in. As I have said before, right-of-ways are like herpes, they are forever and they are going to cause you pain periodically. Plus, do you know what NGL's are? Can you envision what will happen if a NGL line ruptures?

Second, follow ACZlan, 2LaneCruiser, and Brant's advice. If you are one of those people who thinks they are smarter than the Right-of-way agent, you deserve what you will get.

Im in Texas, Hunt county area, yes I know what Natural Gas Liquid is, but I cant get so demanding that they take me to court,have my property condemned and I get zero or very little compensation... I do not think Im smarter than an agent who has been doing this for years, however I do think I'm competent enough to negotiate a fair deal. I might call a oil and gas attorney tomorrow to get an idea of what their services will cost. I got a feeling its probably not worth it.

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #12  
I do not know about Texas but in Pennsylvania my neighbor and I met with an attorney to get advise then we made a proposal to the gas company told them what we wanted. They added a clause to the contract that met our needs. The most important thing is to have binding arbitration that way they will have a harder time outspending you in court if they decide to break the contract. My feeling are if they are honest in their intent to put a pipeline in and nothing more they should not have a problem with your concerns and put it in the contract, if not then they do have some future plans. Just my 2cents

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #13  
You are in luck. Start with the issues discussed in this presentation and the resources they note:
http://recenter.tamu.edu/speeches/pdf/JF052010S1205.pdf

Google the cases they cite in the presentation, and you will see that the pipeline does not always have the right of eminent domain. Then, when you talk to an attorney you will be able to judge how up to speed he or she is on the law of condemnation.

Also, this article has some good ideas:
http://un-naturalgas.org/EricCampsPipeLineNegotiation.pdf

Google the explosion of the Pacific Gas and Electric's San Bruno line. Not meant to scare, but still something to ponder since it is a NGL line they want to put in on you.

Good luck.

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #14  
....I do not think Im smarter than an agent who has been doing this for years, however I do think I'm competent enough to negotiate a fair deal. I might call a oil and gas attorney tomorrow to get an idea of what their services will cost. I got a feeling its probably not worth it.

It is not a question of who is smarter, it is a question of who has more knowledge. Since you are asking for advice on TBN, which is a good thing, you don't have the knowledge. You need to get the knowledge and TBN is a good start but a lawyer, in your state, with experience in this area of law, is really what you need.

We have talked to quite a few lawyers over the years asking for advice. Not once did we get billed. Not one penny and we asked to get billed. Don't assume that the lawyer will bill for advice and two, that the bill will be expensive. You are looking at a money transaction and allowing someone else to use your property. I would be finding a good lawyer ASAP to get advice, almost certainly read the contract, and make changes to protect me as much as possible.

If the money you are getting for the easement, will not cover the cost of the lawyer, I would not be selling the easement.

Later,
Dan

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #15  
you might want to check out a similar thread on NorthEast the OP there told the land man to take a hike after consulting an lawyer

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #16  
It is not a question of who is smarter, it is a question of who has more knowledge. Since you are asking for advice on TBN, which is a good thing, you don't have the knowledge. You need to get the knowledge and TBN is a good start but a lawyer, in your state, with experience in this area of law, is really what you need.

We have talked to quite a few lawyers over the years asking for advice. Not once did we get billed. Not one penny and we asked to get billed. Don't assume that the lawyer will bill for advice and two, that the bill will be expensive. You are looking at a money transaction and allowing someone else to use your property. I would be finding a good lawyer ASAP to get advice, almost certainly read the contract, and make changes to protect me as much as possible.If the money you are getting for the easement, will not cover the cost of the lawyer, I would not be selling the easement.

Later,
Dan

You really should talk to a lawyer; dm is right...if it ends up in litigation, odds are you will call the lawyer that gave you the free advice. Don't downplay this thing; an easement is one thing that will be with you forever, and these folks care less about you or your property. Remember...they will hire CONTRACTORS to do the digging, pipe laying, etc. and they regard you as a problem and will leave you with a disaster if it serves their purpose. Just try to get anything done then; nobody will know you or them; all they will do is point fingers and you will be forced to go to court if you want something done. Ask me how I know. I have been through this twice; lost my fruit trees, my raised bed garden, my grass, my topsoil, and now have some subsidence areas that will require topsoil hauled in. There's a lot more to the story, but that should suffice.

Dennis

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #17  
I'll just add a few things to this thread. There is usually standard rates that are paid for these easements. There has to be or people would ask for crazy amounts of money and none of us would have natural gas, electricity, gasoline, LP, phones etc. They most likely will be able to condemn property to put this in. They have to put the thing somewhere, so you can't tell them "put it over there" because that person doesn't want it anymore than you. There are times they can change a route to help people out at very little cost to them. Yes something like this does burden your property and hurts its value. Good Luck.

/ Pipeline easement negotiating
"It is not a question of who is smarter, it is a question of who has more knowledge. Since you are asking for advice on TBN, which is a good thing, you don't have the knowledge. You need to get the knowledge and TBN is a good start but a lawyer, in your state, with experience in this area of law, is really what you need. "

I agree with you dmccarty, but I have done a lot of research on this subject and asked numerous people who have been in the same situation for advice. I feel like I have enough knowledge of ROW agreements to negotiate my own contract. Am I the most knowlegeable person on this subject?? probably not... but I definitely didn't go into negotiations blind. I thought I would ask on this very informative forum for another perspective. After adding several special conditions and agreeing on a fair market price for the property and damages we executed what I feel was a fair contract for the Grantor/Grantee.... thanks for all the replies....time will only tell how fair the contract really is. :thumbsup:

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #19  
Dealing with this right now. I was just called back by the landman who after we turned down his inital offer, said well we can make the easement much smaller and increase the $$ offered and replant any trees of yours we destroy. Thats a lot different then the inital offer.
Most oil/gas attorneys can do a pipleline row for about 1500-2000, and that will be put into the lease that the company pays them first. There is a chance after going through all this that they will choose a different route and then you dont get your bonus payment. Our attorney I have talked to at least 3-4 times on this has not charged me yet. They said that they would if we went ahead with the lease work.
Around here too they use a different landman for each neighbor that way each is kind of kept in the dark. Information is the key to dealing with them and they controll most of it.

/ Pipeline easement negotiating #20  
well we have delt with keystone pipeline.an it really wasnt all that hard todo.they made their offer an we said no then we countered with our offer an they knew where we stood an took it.an make sure you put 1 pipeline in the easement.they wont like it but theyll do it.now as for lawyers they will get most if no all of your payment.