Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners?

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #31  
I use Blaster most of the time and if that won't do it I either heat or cut it. Sometimes I split the nut with a air chisel.
Here is something of interest too but they are $400 ot $500.

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #32  
Chances are a hammer and chisel would work just fine for the OP.:thumbsup:

If he wants to modernise go to an air chisel.:thumbsup:

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #33  
I would tighten the nut untill the bolt breaks and then put in a new nut and bolt. Aren't they just 1/4 inch bolts?

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #34  
I would cut the bolt off flush with the nut then center punch and drill the same size as the bolt or 1/32 over. You don't have to be in the center of the bolt just close, The square hole in the metal of the box will round:thumbsup: out if you try to apply enough force to break through the rust. A good impact wrench might do it but you risk making a square hole round.

Last edited:
   / Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners?
I would tighten the nut untill the bolt breaks and then put in a new nut and bolt. Aren't they just 1/4 inch bolts?

No, 5/16"....and they are CARRIAGE bolts meaning no hex head to grip on. Tightening them would simply pull the head of the bolt thru the steel pan of the wheelbarrow tray. Yes, I am going to replace the bolts with new.

I appreciate all the responses provided and the suggestions given...most likely many of you have had the same type of situation yourselves and I hope the input here has also given others ideas. I did try loosening the nuts using solvent, but the exposed threads on the bolt ends are badly burred and/or covered with dried concrete. Breaking them off is not an alternative because the heads spin so freely. I doubt if an impact wrench and socket would serve the purpose either.

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #36  
If you can't get in there with a reciprocating saw or bolt cutters, so that you can cut off the bolt at the nut, you can run the reciprocating saw alongside the bolt (almost as a guide) and cut the nut off on one side. Once it's cut off, channel locks or a visegrip will allow you to remove the rest of the nut (if it doesn't just fall away).

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #37  
I perfer removing the head, in your case,it may be worth while cutting the end of the bolt off leaving the rusted nut, then stepping up in drill bit size and drilling the remaining bolt out of the nut. Then using a hammer and/or chisel, wacking off the nut,the bolt should free up and drop out. Keep in mind you need clearance to work with the drill.
You could also try a nut splitter and a chisle and hammer. Split both side of the nut if ya can. Just a couple ideas, there aremany to choose from,but each one has different benifits for different applications. I thought these may apply to yours.

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #38  
If he wants to modernise go to an air chisel.:thumbsup:

+1

I was in a similar situation recently, and I went with the air chisel. Worked pretty good. :thumbsup:

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #39  
Would a die grinder with a 3 inch wheel work for you? It is about the same size as your Dremel but with a lot tougher cutting disc.

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #40  
If you can't get in there with a reciprocating saw or bolt cutters, so that you can cut off the bolt at the nut, you can run the reciprocating saw alongside the bolt (almost as a guide) and cut the nut off on one side. Once it's cut off, channel locks or a visegrip will allow you to remove the rest of the nut (if it doesn't just fall away).

This is actually very clever, and I'm glad you mentioned it.