Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners?

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Photos show part of the frame of an old contractor type wheelbarrow I want to replace carriage bolts on and the method I am using to remove the 30-year old nuts. The only problem with using a Dremel-type tool with a cutting disc is that you might get 15-20 seconds out of each disc before it shatters and needs to be replaced. With 8 bolts to replace, and 6-7 discs per nut, that means a lot of time wasted replacing the discs. I cannot get a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade on the nuts because they are recessed, and drilling the nuts out would probably take longer than using the Dremel tool. As far as using a handheld grinding wheel, I am afraid I will damage the wheelbarrow frame because the grinder works so fast.

Tell us, if you have a situation like this, what method do you use to remove the fasteners? I did try clamping vise grips to the exposed threads and trying to turn the nut with a wrench, but they are rusted so solidly that does not work either.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 383
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 3,127
   / Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #2  
Have someone else do it for me :laughing:

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #3  
Air powered die grinder with a cutting disc.

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners?
I have a plug in 4 1/2" grinder that I don't want to use as I am afraid it will damage the wheelbarrow frame, it removes metal very fast.

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #5  
I use a 7 1/4 in. skill saw with a graphite cutting wheel also a tile cutter will work. Cuts through steel and iron like crazy. just wire the safety guard back and set on deepest setting and your in business. Just be careful.

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #6  
torch if possible.. not in your application obviously..

cut head off if possible.

cut shank and split nut if possible.

drill head center to seperate from shank.

weld a nut to head for more torque.. ( again.. not in your case.. )

in order I would try..

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #7  
Spray with Kroil. Thats the ticket. Yea Baby!!!!

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #8  
Photos show part of the frame of an old contractor type wheelbarrow I want to replace carriage bolts on and the method I am using to remove the 30-year old nuts. The only problem with using a Dremel-type tool with a cutting disc is that you might get 15-20 seconds out of each disc before it shatters and needs to be replaced. With 8 bolts to replace, and 6-7 discs per nut, that means a lot of time wasted replacing the discs. I cannot get a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade on the nuts because they are recessed, and drilling the nuts out would probably take longer than using the Dremel tool. As far as using a handheld grinding wheel, I am afraid I will damage the wheelbarrow frame because the grinder works so fast.

Bill,
Some of the bolts you are trying to remove probably have carriage heads so be careful twisting on them too hard or you may split the wood handle rails or at least rat out the square holes in the wood.
I would use a small wire brush wheel on the exposed threads to get them as clean as possible and put a little PB at the meeting of the threads and the nuts. Come back in 24 hours and try a long multipoint socket if you have one that will fit over the square nuts. Use a breaker bar on the socket and tap it with a rubber hammer.
If that doesn't work then take a 4.5" cut off grinder, if you have one, and use the edge to cut off the excess bolt. If you can do that
from two sides you will have a "V" ground down into the nut. If you are afraid of your dexterity to continue splitting the nut using the edge of the grinder wheel without damaging the metal plate then finish the nut split with a cole chisel.
Wear a face shield when grinding or chiseling..
Ron

/ Your favorite method of removing rusted fasteners? #9  
Ditto on the Kroil or PB Blaster, but if time was not an issue I'd soak it down once a day for 2 or 3 days, on the next day put some heat on it, let it cool down and USUALLY wrench it off.

The other method would be to cut them off. Use the 4.5 inch grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the nut in half, the split the nut with a chisel.

Ken