Thoughts on our house plans, please?

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #101  
... We met an architect really liked what he had to say about home designs. We ended up using him to design our house, took us about 1 month and 1000 dollars. I will tell you even looking hind side this was the best money we ever spent. ....

To the OP, I keep forgetting to mention getting someone else to do or help with the design. Decades before I built, I talked to a draftsman who would take my drawings and make a more complete set. I forgot how much he charged but it was by the square foot of the design and was very reasonable. He was not an architect but I did not really need on either. If you could not find/afford an architect, try looking for an experienced draftsman.

We also went through the build part of the house and finish it later but decided it was not worth it. Just build it and be done with it. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #102  
It may be a good idea to reconsider building a house. In many areas of the United States, it's currently much cheaper to buy an existing home than to build a new home. There are MANY homes for sale in most places, so selection is generally good. It is also MUCH easier to buy an existing home than to build a home!

If anyone in the OP's family has allergy problems or asthma, it would be an excellent idea to build a "healthy house". Healthy homes are designed to provide an ultra healthy indoor environment. These kind of homes are good for everyone, but are really helpful for folks with certain health issues. John Bower has written a bunch of books on this subject. There are other good books on the subject available as well.

On the garage, I like a detached garage with a roof connecting the garage to the house. A detached garage is usually safer. Cars will occasionally catch on fire while parked. Carbon Monoxide and other fumes and odors from the cars are less likely to enter the home from a detached garage. A covered walkway, or breeze way, connecting the house and garage would be ideal in many areas. In cold northern climates, an attached garage might be a better plan.

I like outdoor living areas on a country home. In bug and pesky insect country, a screened in porch is ideal. A detached gazebo is another option.

Someone mentioned earlier about allowing an extra 10-15% for unexpected expenses. That may not be enough. It depends on how good a person is at planning and budgeting!

A good architect is well worth the cost of their fee. They can point out problems and offer suggestions on how to improve a design. It's a good idea to know what you want and can afford BEFORE going to see them though! Depending on the situation, an interior decorator can also be helpful at times.

If the OP wanted to build a smaller home, he could build a detached "guest house" for his company. Depending on the company, it may be nice to have them in another building!:laughing: The guest house could also be converted into a small rental home if desired at a later date. Some folks will also use recreational vehicles (campers) for company. If that's done, some RV utility hook-ups should be incorporated into the design of the house.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #103  
I had a book on house design a few years ago that suggested that you look at each room individually and decide exactly what you want that room to encompass and look like. Draw each one out on a sheet of paper (or as a separate file in your software), then combine them and move them around. The guy called it something like Bubble Designing. Each room can then be moved around to it's optimum position within the house.

I learned something from my mother-in-law mentioned a long time ago - Yeah, how often does THAT happen?. In your plan the MBR is a loooooong way from the kitchen. Do you really want to travel that far just to get the coffee going each morning. My MIL was taught in a class that she took to put the MBR adjacent to the kitchen so you don't have to walk the whole house in your scivveys (sp?) to get there. At first I thought that was weird but after I went through a house that was built like that (in that house, the MBR was behind the kitchen down a private hallway that also contained a large laundry room) it made all kinds of sense.

Good Luck!

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #104  
MikeA57 said:
In your plan the MBR is a loooooong way from the kitchen. Do you really want to travel that far just to get the coffee going each morning. My MIL was taught in a class that she took to put the MBR adjacent to the kitchen so you don't have to walk the whole house in your scivveys (sp?) to get there. At first I thought that was weird but after I went through a house that was built like that (in that house, the MBR was behind the kitchen down a private hallway that also contained a large laundry room) it made all kinds of sense.

Good Luck!
I spent the night at a friend's new house about 5 years ago. His house is a split BR design with the master bedroom adjacent to the kitchen with it's own private hallway to the kitchen like you mentioned. Trying to be helpful, on Sat. morning I started unloading the dishwasher. I was interrupted by his wife who was trying to sleep in and was awakened by clanging dishes. In that house the MBR is also near the garage. My friend wishes his MBR was far away from the kitchen and garage because he can't cook breakfast or work in the garage early on Saturdays because his wife wants to sleep in. The same issues can arise if visitors are up late and hanging out in the kitchen area while someone needs to go to bed early in the MBR.

After getting our friend's feedback on his house, we designed our house with the MBR as far away from the garage, kitchen, and LR as possible. We haven't regretted that decision during the 1 1/2 years we've lived in the house. I would much rather get a good night's sleep than have a short walk to the kitchen.
Obed

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #105  
I spent the night at a friend's new house about 5 years ago. His house is a split BR design with the master bedroom adjacent to the kitchen with it's own private hallway to the kitchen like you mentioned. Trying to be helpful, on Sat. morning I started unloading the dishwasher. I was interrupted by his wife who was trying to sleep in and was awakened by clanging dishes. In that house the MBR is also near the garage. My friend wishes his MBR was far away from the kitchen and garage because he can't cook breakfast or work in the garage early on Saturdays because his wife wants to sleep in. The same issues can arise if visitors are up late and hanging out in the kitchen area while someone needs to go to bed early in the MBR.

After getting our friend's feedback on his house, we designed our house with the MBR as far away from the garage, kitchen, and LR as possible. We haven't regretted that decision during the 1 1/2 years we've lived in the house. I would much rather get a good night's sleep than have a short walk to the kitchen.
Obed

The house my father built and I grew up in was shaped like a giant Y. The MBR was at one end of the Y, the living room was at the other and the "dormitory" with 4 kid's bedroom was at the 3rd leg of the Y. The kitchen was in the middle. MBR was no where near the kids' rooms and pretty far from the kitchen and living areas. It's something to think about for sure.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #106  
Its been said elsewhere but when it comes to the roof for serviceability and LONG life, lose the dormers, angles and sharp angles corners.

They indeed look pretty to designers, but risk of failure and repair replace costs are just too high. I've got a pretty set of angles and have cursed the day I closed because of them. Next house single, 2 or 3 story will have SIMPLE roof lines. USE oversize gutters and downspouts.

Go for a 10 foot tall basement height if you ever plan to finish it in. (You'll get most of your money back in simplicity at build-out)

Go with 36 in doors and 48in hallways everywhere.

Lastly on a 2nd or 3rd floor build, use conventional attic configurations so service access can be had. DON'T get the "mini attic" of sheet-rock to rafter bonus rooms. If you do, you will NEVER be able to raise the R factor in the affected areas to make heating/cooling cost effective.

Go with 36in doors and 48in hallways everywhere.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #107  
The house my father built and I grew up in was shaped like a giant Y. The MBR was at one end of the Y, the living room was at the other and the "dormitory" with 4 kid's bedroom was at the 3rd leg of the Y. The kitchen was in the middle. MBR was no where near the kids' rooms and pretty far from the kitchen and living areas. It's something to think about for sure.

That's a great idea!

In fact, I seem to remember reading something like that in (maybe?) Finehomebuilding some years back.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #108  
   / Thoughts on our house plans, please? #109  
I haven't read every post but a few windows in the garage would be helpful. If you don't want people looking in a high "library" type window along the back wall would he nice. Also a stone chimney looks nice on the outside but it is expensive, perhaps framed and sided like the house would still look good.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #110  
Great thread, I'm glad you posted this!! Our situations are very close. I have just over seventy acres and I'm currently planning a house build for this spring. I've been using the same software for several months now, and have had some of the same struggles as you. There is such a fine line between having the rooms/space you want and building too big of a house. I feel your pain. We have always known what we want the outside to look like, and never realized just how difficult it was going to be to get the inside layout to a point where it feels perfect. After many attempts we finally settled on a layout that works for both myself and my wife, but it didn't come without compromises. I don't want to hijack your thread with the details (will start a new thread in the near future) but wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your struggles and to offer my encouragement. Good luck with your design and I look foreword to following your progress.