House for my Parents

/ House for my Parents #131  
Rafters and more rafters!!!! They never end, and they take forever to cut and install them. Eddie
Hey Eddie,
I just noticed this thread this weekend. I'm very much enjoying it. Like always, you appear to be doing a great job.

Why did you choose to stick build the roof rafters instead of ordering roof trusses?
Obed

/ House for my Parents
Thank You Obed.

Trusses have their place, but limit what I want to do with the ceilings. I also want a hip design with gable ends at the front. The garage will have trusses that I will build in place, and I thought about buying them and installing them already done, but cost is a big factor is doing this for them. Trusses cost more then just the lumber. Their savings is in the labor it takes to install them, since we're all working for free, out of pocket expenses are what is more important.

I think everyone is going to be surprised what this house costs to build.

Eddie

/ House for my Parents #133  
EddieWalker said:
Thank You Obed.

Trusses have their place, but limit what I want to do with the ceilings. I also want a hip design with gable ends at the front. The garage will have trusses that I will build in place, and I thought about buying them and installing them already done, but cost is a big factor is doing this for them. Trusses cost more then just the lumber. Their savings is in the labor it takes to install them, since we're all working for free, out of pocket expenses are what is more important.

Eddie

I'm really enjoying this thread... Eddie, you da man!

/ House for my Parents #134  

Eddie

Do you have any estimates or targets? I know the labor is free but it would be interesting to learn generally what you've budgetted for materials, subs etc.

Great thread.

/ House for my Parents #135  
Rafters and more rafters!!!! They never end, and they take forever to cut and install them. While I'm doing that, my parents are installing the OSB on the walls. They work pretty good together as a team, so I try to stay out of their way.

View attachment 287337 View attachment 287338 View attachment 287339 View attachment 287340

Eddie

Looks like you are using screws for the rafters (at least you are using an impact driver in one picture). Just curious, any particular reason why?

/ House for my Parents
Screws and nails are both fasteners, neither are load bearing, stuctural or capable of holding a load. Both are designed to hold wood in place, but not support any weight. In this case, the design of the rafters creates all the strength and the fastener is just there to hold it in place. Screws have two advantages. One, they allow me to move the wood when getting it exactly where I want it. Second, it's easier to use the driver up on the ladder then the nail gun.

Eddie

/ House for my Parents #137  
Do you have any estimates or targets? I know the labor is free but it would be interesting to learn generally what you've budgetted for materials, subs etc.

Great thread.

It used to be that contractors like to tack 30% on to the price for their profit. I don't know if the market can bear that much nowadays or not.

Eddie, are you guys planning on subing out any of the remaining work? I'm guessing bricks or stone and maybe sheetrock?

/ House for my Parents
We'll sub out a few things. Already hired a crew to do the finish work on the concrete and we'll bring them back to do the porches and walkway. I'll put on the decking on the roof, but will hire a crew to install the shingles. Sheetrock is pretty easy, so we'll do all of that. HVAC and duct work will by done by somebody else. The fireplace is being installed by the company that sold it to them. and the carpet going into the bedrooms will be done by others. I'll do everything else with their help.

Eddie

/ House for my Parents #139  
Are you going to build or buy cabinets? Keep taking pics. We are enjoying the build! Thanks!

/ House for my Parents
We are going to buy cabinets from either Lowes or Home Depot. This is one of those really big decissions that will decide what so much of the rest of the interior will look like. Currently, we're liking a pecan color with maple that is glazed. Don't want to go country, but not looking to be high end either. Just want a really nice, fit any situation type of cabinet. Kraftmade seems to be the front runner right now, but they are all pretty comparible in that price range. Plywood sides and shelves, solid doors.

Then they want granite counters. Dark chocolate is the current color range, but that might change lighter or darker. Still unsure and probably wont decide until the cabinets are installed, wich will be some time in the spring.

Eddie