Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Default Re: House for my Parents

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post
    Are things that bad in California that it takes that long to sell a house? People don't want to live there?
    Anytime, anywhere, if it takes longer than whatever normal for that area happens to be, then either the asking price is to high or there are other problems-concerns. That applies to any place.

With over 37 million people living in the state, it is pretty hard to say that no one wants to live here. It would be fine with me if 32 million of them moved up to Canada. You guys wouldn't mind if your countries population doubled would you?
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Be careful about putting them on your property, we did the same thing about 15 years ago when we put the in-laws on our place, in a triple wide, they hold the mortgage on the house (house only) but I paid for the second septic (over 10K) and other improvements as well as most of the maintance. They now are getting very close to end of life, and the equity in the house will be split 3 ways and one third is my BIL, who is worthless. The BIL and SIL have been on welfare for the last 15 years. The house is on a conditional use permit, and can only be occupied by a family member. If the house is split up and moved, it has almost no value. I don't want my worthless BIL living on my property, but my wife thinks otherwise. If you feel some anger in this reply it may be there, as all this was not planned for 15 years ago when I said OK to the plan. On the up side having my wife so close to her parents, she has been able to do a lot for them in the way of dealing with the day to day of elder care.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
    Eddie, you are so lucky to have that opportunity ! I'll be watching how this comes along.... no doubt just as interesting as the rest of your projects.
    x2. Congrats.
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Eddie thats great. My folks are 600 miles from me and at the point in life where it is hard for me to be as much help as I want to be. To late for them to consider a move. I sure wish they were closer.

My only suggestion on your house plan is you better put in a BIG doggie door for those evening Oscar wants to curl up with the folks and watch TV.

MarkV

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Very nice plans, congratulations.

My brother sold his house just north of San Fransisco fifteen years ago and it was a bear to sell even then due to base closings etc., another brother bailed a few years before that. Now my brothers and mother live all within six miles as do three of our four children with the other living eighteen miles; just can't beat a close family.

Looks like some real nice house plans.
    Bird

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Yes, we would mind. We will let California keep them. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    Anytime, anywhere, if it takes longer than whatever normal for that area happens tobe, then either the asking price is to high or there are other problems-concerns. That applies to any place.

With over 37 million people living in the state, it is pretty hard to say that no one wants to live here. It would be fine with me if 32 million of them moved up to Canada. You guys wouldn't mind if your countries population doubled would you?
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post
    Yes, we would mind. We will let California keep them. :-)
    Ah come on, just think of the increased tax base. In reality though, I don't blame you one bit.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

We got all the trenches dug for the drain and vent lines. Installed them and will get them covered up and compacted in a day or so. There are a few more lines to run under the slab, then I need to locate and dig footings to support the load of the beam that will span the great room and as well as the load bearing wall down the middle of the house.

I'm giving my dad the shopping list for rebar. 36 sticks of #4 and 70 sticks of #3. That should all be done this week. The pad will be treated for termites this week and we'll be ready for concrete some time next week.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    House for my Parents-6-jpg

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Eddie, I really like your plan, but was surprised to not see a toilet in the master bath. Of course, the hall bath is just outside the bedroom, but I'd expect a toilet in the master bath for later resale. There will come a time the house is sold or at least occupied by someone else, so that's a consideration even if your parents don't think they need it now. Also with those two bedrooms isolated at the far end of the house, I'd try to make it so I could close them off from the rest of the house with a door and eliminate heating/cooling costs. If they aren't being occupied, it seems useless to heat/cool them.

Just curious. . . will they keep the motorhome after the house is built? Have they been driving it back and forth to CA or has it stayed parked at your house for a long time?
    Jim

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast