House for my Parents

/ House for my Parents #191  
In my area, and in my home, it's 1-1.5" plastic from the gas meter to the house, black iron inside the house and stainless flex from a valve on the black iron to the appliance. I usually see a 3/4 main line down the center of the house with 1/2 branching off to each "appliance". Then a valve and flex between the black iron and appliance. This is how i did my current home and how I plan to do my new home. I have never seen a house plumbed for gas entirely with the stainless flex, but that certainly doesn't make it wrong. Like most things, how it is done, will probably vary by region.

I have done my houses that way but I have LP so I used copper outside.
A couple months ago a neighbor had to get a gas man to find a leak. He found a drywall screw through some copper tubing he used throughout the house. I would assume that stainless would puncture somewhat like copper would.

/ House for my Parents #192  
As a HVAC man I use black pipe .Went with Quality Cabinets by you Eddie, Much better than KraftMaid.

Last edited:
   / House for my Parents #195  
Eddie, back in 1997 in Denton when I was trying to maintain my deceased father's trailer park, I had to run a gas pipe about 100' underground from a meter to a riser beside the mobile home. The line had to be green plastic coated 3/4" pipe and all the joints had to be wrapped. A tracer on the underground line was mandatory. When I got beside the mobile home pad, I had to drive down a angle iron into the ground so the line could be secured to the angle iron for support with clamps. Of course, if your meter is set right beside the house, you may not have any underground after the meter. Our line had to be pressure tested for 24 hours and I had to pay a plumber to come out and lay the pipe into a trench that I dug. He only put my pipe into my trench and his helper did the joints. He charged me $397 for 45 minutes work and I supplied all the materials including the pressure test gage. I think he wanted to do the whole job including trenching and materials, so he was just punishing me for not doing it his way.:mad:

I think black pipe inside the house would be fine. If you need to do repairs, you can always find black pipe fittings at any box store or hardware store. I'm not sure about any other specialty piping.

/ House for my Parents #196  
If you live in a lightning prone area, I wouldn't even consider the corrugated stainless steel tubing. Do a Google search on "CSST lawsuit". It was a national class action case, houses were burning down due to lightning. The installation manual for all of the manufacturers tell you to bond it to the electrical system in the house and that will make it all better. You'll never see it in my house.

/ House for my Parents #197  
I have always used black iron for inside runs. No problems, and old work unscrews easily, not like galvanized water lines, where there is serious corrosion and it may not be possible to take old work apart without some destruction.

Black iron is much more robust against being penetrated by nails or screws.

The only real issue is that it must be corrosion protected from the pressure reducer on the outside of the house to the first wall penetration, or the outdoor section will rust.

In CA the inspector was OK with galvanized, and told me that the only real reason for black iron was lower cost. This may not be OK in other jurisdictions.

/ House for my Parents #198  
This may not be OK in other jurisdictions.

Yep, in 1993-94, I was doing gas leakage surveys and local codes and requirements do vary in different places. Personally, if it were me, I'd ask the local gas company what they recommend.

/ House for my Parents #199  
Yep, in 1993-94, I was doing gas leakage surveys and local codes and requirements do vary in different places. Personally, if it were me, I'd ask the local gas company what they recommend.

I think you have it right Bird. Local standards vary so much the only thing to do is see what the source and gov. in your area needs.

MarkV

/ House for my Parents #200  
As others have said the concerns about static discharge/lighting and the corregated pipe would make me use black pipe. In fact that was we did. We have lp and we hardlined the entire basment using blueblocker on all the joints. My father a pipefitter did this with his ng system. We would do three hand turns and then three turns with the pipe wrenches. I had the gas company do the hook up to th tank and we only had one fitting that was bad, they replaced it.
Since the pipe comes in so many different lenghts it was easy to add pipe and connections to various parts of the house incase we needed them later on.
My father has his gas grill plummed to run ng (had to get a ng grill).
Just think of all the things that you may possibly use, like hot water heater, genny, dryer, grill etc.