House for my Parents

/ House for my Parents
The weather, all of us getting sick and commitments to clients has all had a huge affect on what we have been able to get done. Dad finished the gas line. He ran black pipe, then filled it up to 70 psi and it didn't drop a pound for a week. We're comfortable that there isn't any leaks in the pipe. Granted, it took several tries to get it to do that, but he has the time and he kept at it until he found all the leaks.

He is also running electrical with my help. There are two three way light switches and one four way light switch. He got that confused, but it's all good now. He also forgot a few things, but it wasn't too hard to get them taken care of. He tends to get ahead of himself, and then forgets to check what he does. I walk through it and check his work.

The rear porch is almost done, but I just haven't had time to do it and Dad isn't capable of compound miter cuts, measuring accurately or figuring out the angle to cut the wood. We also don't want him up on the rafters, so I've done all of the roof framing.

Hopefullly I'll be able to get something accomplished this weekend. I'm very close to being able to put the sheething up, but I don't want to jump to that until I'm done framing the roof.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ House for my Parents #222  
Eddie, will your lumbar yard bring a lift truck to get the sheathing on top of the roof? I guess you have plenty of FELs to help get it up there if you need to. That weight adds up and I've had to carry it up ladders before. No wonder I have bad knees now.

/ House for my Parents #223  
Seems like we've been sick for weeks now and not able to get anything done. Thankfully that's all done and we're all better now.

View attachment 293362 Mom wanted a little bit of roof over the side door, so I built her this View attachment 293363 Laundry View attachment 293364 200 amp panel with 6 GFCI outlets. One will have a ligh switch on it for the outlets on the eves for Christmas lights View attachment 293365 Just about ready to deck the roof

Eddie

Great progress, Eddie. I always enjoy seeing your projects. Glad you are feeling better too.

/ House for my Parents #224  
I'm not sure you will be able to use corrugated SS pipe I tried up here you have to go to school and be approved to use it buy the mfg.

Black iron pipe is defiantly more robust than the yellow SS hose they use around here.
The fittings are expensive and I only think if labor is expensive would the hose install be cheaper.

tom

They now sell that corrugated SS gas line in the big box stores here. It used to be that you had to be "certified" to even buy it. I think it's pretty commonly accepted now, at least here.

As far as I have read in trade journals, the biggest thing is being hit with nails if run in walls. Of course you still use nail plates where they pass through studding, like any other water or DWV or black pipe, but you can still hit it in retrofit situations since you can't guarantee it will sit mid-stud.

Last edited:
   / House for my Parents
Eddie, will your lumbar yard bring a lift truck to get the sheathing on top of the roof? I guess you have plenty of FELs to help get it up there if you need to. That weight adds up and I've had to carry it up ladders before. No wonder I have bad knees now.

I have forks on the loader and will have my dad on the tractor, lifting a pallet of OSB while I nail it down. That is the plan and it seems the simplest way to do it. I've done entire houses by myself before, but mostly additions and small structures. The hardest part is getting it on the roof. Nailing it is fast and easy, so if I can keep my dad from doing anything "helpful" while he's on the tractor, it should go pretty quickly.

I make fun of my dad, but he is a very good worker and is doing a lot on keeping things moving along. The problem is in his communications skills and my not being able to explain things so he understands, and then he does something that makes no sense at all and I have to undo it. He wont admit that he doesn't understand what I tell him, and then he does what he "thinks" I said. When we talk about it, he admits that he didn't think it was the right thing to do, but thought I knew something he didn't and he did it anyway. In some ways this is good and it gets done the way I want it even though he doesn't understand it at first, but once he gets going, it all comes together. Soffits and fascia where a huge hurdle to overcome, but once he and my Mom got to doing them, they came up with a routine and got it done. With my dad doing the grunt work and my mom suprvising and helping him out, they do great work, but my mom has to be there to tell him when he's messed up, and when it's not strait or doesn't look good. He cannot tell ugly from nice.

It looks like a nice weekend, so I'm looking forward to getting some more work done on the place.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ House for my Parents #226  
I like the way you did the gable truss(s), very beefy! Looking good Eddie........

As far as getting sick, when we when up to Canada for Christmas EVERYONE was sick, so both of brought back the Manitoba crud.

/ House for my Parents
During the week, Dad has been running wire, water lines and gas lines. He's doing a good job and he's just about done roughing everything in. We've added everything we can think of!!!!

On the weekend, I've been installing the decking. Neither of them can do anything up on the roof, so Dad moves the backhoe around so I can get the OSB easily, and Mom keeps me in nails. She will climp up the ladder about halfway and stretch to hand them to me. She refused to go up one more step. :)

116.jpg 118.jpg 120.JPG

/ House for my Parents #228  
Looking good. Hope your back is alright! What type of roof are y'all planning? Composition or Metal?

/ House for my Parents
Going with composite shingles. We are going to have somebody else install them. It's too slow to do it myself and there are too many other things that I could be doing while they are getting that done.

Eddie