House for my Parents

/ House for my Parents #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
After seven years of trying, my parents sold their house in California and have moved to Texas. When I built my house, I planned on building another for them right behind mine. Sewer, water and power where all laid out for this. We didn't have a plan then, and the area wasn't cleared or leveled, but over the years, we've worked towards getting it ready.

While building, they are living in their RV. It's very nice and they are in no rush to get the house done. The less we spend on it, the better, so if it takes a little longer with us doing the labor, that's just fine.

The plan I came up with is 2,000 sq ft. Three bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms and a small office. One story, easy to clean and big enough to entertain, but also small enough to not be very wasteful. Most of the walls will be 8ft tall, except the open middle area, which will have 9 ft walls. The family room will have a vaulted ceiling, the kitchen, dining and master will have raised ceilings.

Eddie

1.jpg

/ House for my Parents
We had to add about 50 yards of dirt to build up the pad. My dad did all that with the backhoe, one yard at a time. I spread and leveled it off, then measured it out and put in the forms. Then I measured and marked the locations of all the drain lines, the water main and the water lines to the island in the kitchen. Dad and I both dug the trenches, but he did the hard part by digging around the other lines going to their RV to get to the sewer and water lines.

Eddie

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

/ House for my Parents #3  
Good for you and your folks Eddie. I know that it can be very enjoyable from a parents perspective to be with their kids as they get into the golden years. I'm sure we all will be following your progress and wish you and your folks the best of times on your build.

/ House for my Parents #4  
Nice, Eddie. They are going to love it.

Last edited:
   / House for my Parents #5  
Eddie, you are so lucky to have that opportunity ! I'll be watching how this comes along.... no doubt just as interesting as the rest of your projects.

/ House for my Parents #6  
You might want to think ahead, as in wheelchairs and accessibility.
The shower, no dam, max .5" drop or just slope it all. No stairs, all
ramps... The lavs, countertop w/ wheelchair access under. HC toilets
w/ backing in ALL walls for grab rails. You know what to do I am sure.

/ House for my Parents
You might want to think ahead, as in wheelchairs and accessibility.
The shower, no dam, max .5" drop or just slope it all. No stairs, all
ramps... The lavs, countertop w/ wheelchair access under. HC toilets
w/ backing in ALL walls for grab rails. You know what to do I am sure.

I'm doing all that except for the wheelchair access under the counters. Guess if it comes to that, I'll change what I have to.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ House for my Parents #8  
Are things that bad in California that it takes that long to sell a house? People don't want to live there?

After seven years of trying, my parents sold their house in California and have moved to Texas. When I built my house, I planned on building another for them right behind mine. Sewer, water and power where all laid out for this. We didn't have a plan then, and the area wasn't cleared or leveled, but over the years, we've worked towards getting it ready.

While building, they are living in their RV. It's very nice and they are in no rush to get the house done. The less we spend on it, the better, so if it takes a little longer with us doing the labor, that's just fine.

The plan I came up with is 2,000 sq ft. Three bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms and a small office. One story, easy to clean and big enough to entertain, but also small enough to not be very wasteful. Most of the walls will be 8ft tall, except the open middle area, which will have 9 ft walls. The family room will have a vaulted ceiling, the kitchen, dining and master will have raised ceilings.

Eddie

View attachment 279081

/ House for my Parents #9  
Wow, looks like there is TONS of storage space. That is a big plus! :thumbsup:

/ House for my Parents
Problem with selling in CA is that whatever you want for your place, the buyers know that the price will be less next year. Makes it hard to find somebody wanting to pay anything close to the asking price. Twelve years after buying their house, the sold it for what they paid for it.

Eddie