Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 142122232425262734 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    Going with composite shingles. We are going to have somebody else install them. It's too slow to do it myself and there are too many other things that I could be doing while they are getting that done.

Eddie
    Do you have a company you trust to do the shingling? I couldn't shingle my house because of my back so I had my father and a family friend do it instead. I brought in a 60' lift with 8' basket to help make things easier and did everything I could to help. But I do not trust to many other roofers around this area. We've been in to repair a lot of other roofs because the shingles were installed wrong or the valleys weren't done properly and were leaking.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Default Re: House for my Parents

No. I'm relying on Angies List and talking to the three top rated roofers on there. I'm very anal about how I want it done, and what materials they are to use. I'm planning on playing the I don't know anything game with them and seeing what they tell me. If I hear what I want to hear, then I will have confidence in them and go off of price. If I can only find one who says the right things, then price wont be a factor because that will be the only one I trust to do the job.

I want to decking done first, then I will call them out and start the process of deciding who to hire. I've learned over the years to never rely or expect others to see or understand what I'm trying to describe. I see things in my head that others dont, and I'm not smart enough to explain what I see to the point where we are all on the same page. I have to build it, draw it or show a picture of it to get them to understand what I want and what I'm doing.

While most roofers do this all the time and have seen thousands of roofs, for my peace of mind, I still don't want to have them look at the rafters to bid the job. Once it's decked, then they can talk to me about flashing, paper, nails, vents and shingles.

Eddie

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Eddie, I don't know how you managed to 'hog' those sheets of OSB decking around on the roof, but that job is one that a helper sure would come in handy, especially in the slightest breeze. The roof looks great and having the decking on gives visually pleasing shape and structure to the whole house. I know you all must be tired and sore, but I bet you can't look at the house without smiling. You have every reason to be pleased with your progress.
    Jim

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

I see a lot of homes in TX with metal roofs. Is there a reason why you are using singles instead of steel?

Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277

Eddie,

I have been following your progress and as usual you are doing a great job.
    I suffer from MPD...Multiple Project Disorder

Tractor
    Sears Garden Tractor with home built loader

She will climp up the ladder about halfway and stretch to hand them to me. She refused to go up one more step.
    That's how my 37 year old brother is. He will do the exact same thing. I asked him to come on up on the roof we tore down. I had asked him to bring me up the sawzall so I could cut the boards out that were attached to the rafters. (This house didn't have the plywood on the roof. It had the asphalt shingles over top of the old wood shingles.)

He would not come up either. He said he was staying off the roof.

I guess I should have just climbed on down the ladder myself and got it. Because I had to go halfway down the ladder anyway to reach it. lol

He had refused to go more than 2 steps.

Chad
    Fixing Up Old 1960's Santafe Travel Trailer
    Click the above link to see pics of a travel trailer I scored for free that I'm going to fix up to go camping in.

Welded A new Spindle Into Axle
    I repaired a broken axle by welding a new spindle into the old axle for my camper trailer. Click the link to see pics.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

No. I'm relying on Angies List and talking to the three top rated roofers on there. I'm very anal about how I want it done, and what materials they are to use. I'm planning on playing the I don't know anything game with them and seeing what they tell me. If I hear what I want to hear, then I will have confidence in them and go off of price. If I can only find one who says the right things, then price wont be a factor because that will be the only one I trust to do the job.

I want to decking done first, then I will call them out and start the process of deciding who to hire. I've learned over the years to never rely or expect others to see or understand what I'm trying to describe. I see things in my head that others dont, and I'm not smart enough to explain what I see to the point where we are all on the same page. I have to build it, draw it or show a picture of it to get them to understand what I want and what I'm doing.

While most roofers do this all the time and have seen thousands of roofs, for my peace of mind, I still don't want to have them look at the rafters to bid the job. Once it's decked, then they can talk to me about flashing, paper, nails, vents and shingles.

Eddie
    Good luck then. Finding a good roofer is tough as most outfits drop guys off to roof with little to no experience and don't oversee the work. We never let new guys shingle alone and had them assist us with valleys and flashing so that we could teach them how we want it done. Sadly most guys never stick around long enough to learn things properly and were then starting over with someone new. I always enjoyed roofing and miss it now that my back can't take the abuse. I'll still climb up to help if I can but not like I use to. Usually I'm just a cut man now and I also finish out the valleys as it allows me to not stress my back as much.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Yes, typically the company owner does the selling and then a 4 door truck will drive up with illegal immigrants. Keep Oscar hidden so they don't get no tamale ideas. Laying a composite roof is not rocket science, just hard work and attention to detail. You need to pick if you want sheet metal showing in the valleys or a lace. Flashing around chimneys is important.

I would look hard at a metal roof. Find the right guys and the price is comparable. Lower insurance. Last longer. Can be almost hail proof if correct grade is chosen. And, very much fire retardent. If you guys shoot fireworks, it is a wise choice. Lastly, a light color or galvalume will lower the temp in the attic substantially. Big time energy savings in the summer. About the only drawback besides price is the noise in a rainstorm. But not bad if you put the recommended 16" of insulation in the attic and you're hard of hearing.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

I happened to be working from home the day the roofers were trying to finish roofing our new house. We were living in our camper on the property while the house was being built. I happened to walk over to the house and looked up at the roof. The roofers were installing shingles over a valley and I did not see any ice and water shield in the valley where they were working. I climbed up on the roof and sure enough the ice and water shield was not being installed. I stopped the work and had a talk with the roofer. They had run out of ice and water shield. It was close to the end of the day and they were trying to finish the job. The delay to buy another roll of the ice and water shield would have meant they would have to come back to the job one more day to finish it so they tried to skip the ice and water shield. If I had not happened to be there, they would have covered up the hack job and would have been paid and long gone before I ever figured out the issue months later when it would have started leaking.

Even the better subs will cut corners under the right conditions (job takes longer than the sub expected, the wrong materials are on site, the sub is getting pressure to start another job, etc.). The way to ensure quality work is to persistantly inspect the work and let the subs know you are doing so. People will do better work if they know someone is checking behind them. That's just human nature.

I had a general rule with the subs that they were not allowed to cover up anything without my first inspecting things. Nothing was ever to get covered up before my wife or I inspected the work. Dirt, concrete, subflooring, sheetrock, housewrap, etc. didn't get laid/installed until my wife or I got to see the work would be covered up by the new materials Subs REALLY HATED that rule. However, enforcing that rule prevented us lots of later headaches. The number of times subs would try to hide something was astounding.

For example, I found a 120V gauge ROMEX electrical cable had been partially cut through with a sawzaw. Some black electrical tape had been wrapped around the outer insulation. When I removed the tape, I found that the insulation on both the hot and neutral wires had been compromised leaving both wires exposed! Of course the right thing to do was to install a junction box and fix the wiring correctly which is what I did. The sheetrock was scheduled for installation the very next day and would have completely covered up the problem until our house burned down.

Obed
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Thanks Obed.

Nice to see how you went from total trust in your first contractor to check everything as work progressed. It's sad that you have to be that way, but it's just too common to cover it up and not say anything. It's truly scary to see what's hidden in the walls of some houses.

Eddie

Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 142122232425262734 ... LastLast