House for my Parents

/ House for my Parents #71  
Eddie, just remember that door handles are a lot easier for small children to operate than doorknobs. Your folks aren't planning on having any more children, are they?:D:laughing:

Another good/bad thing about the handles is that my Great Danes have figured out how to operate them, so they can open the doors (if I could just get them to close the doors:laughing:). Oscar is definitely as smart, if not smarter, than my Danes, so how do your parents fell about Oscar letting himself in?

/ House for my Parents
We've had company visiting from Canada this week and haven't got a lot done. Not that it matters, I'm still talking to guys about finishing the concrete. Hopefully we can pour this week, but I don't know when, or who will do it.

Rebar is half inch, doubled up in the footings and 3/8's on a two foot grid sitting on chairs through the rest of the pad. There is 3/8's rebar sticking through the forms a foot for the porches every two feet that I will tie into when we make the forms to pour them.

Eddie
36.jpg38.jpg40.jpg42.jpg

/ House for my Parents #74  
Eddie,
I may have missed this or forgot it already but are you going to run any in floor heating?

/ House for my Parents #75  
Now is a good time for a Xmas tree electrical socket in the floor
right where Grandma wants it and that floor safe in a closet perhaps.

/ House for my Parents #76  
Where is the vapor barrier. Plastic first, then the rebar....

/ House for my Parents #77  
Eddie

As for the handicapped hand rails ect in the bath room just put the blocking in the walls and take pictures (like I have to tell you that) for future, use a little scrap in the walls won't take you any time at all.

tom

/ House for my Parents
Toro,

Winter is only two months here and we only have a few days that are below freezing for more then a few hours. There will be a gas central heating unit and a gas fireplace for heat.

Artisan,

Mom wants the tree along the ouside wall, by the fireplace. There will be plenty of wall outlets there. I thought about an outlet where the sofa is going to go, be we decided that it wasn't really needed or wanted. The safe is way too big to go in the ground, it will be bolted to the concrete once the house is built.

Timberland,

No need for a vapor barrier with my soil.

Eddie

/ House for my Parents #79  
Eddie, I will have to disagree about the vapor barrier. I am in the Longview area and the barrier is standard on all homes here. Jus a little advice, really hard to install after slab is poured.

Just my opinion.

/ House for my Parents #80  
Nice plans Eddie, I was also wondering were the vapor barrior was, do you have Radon gas in your area? Its code here in Iowa, but the builders always skip it in the garage, the floors will realy sweat in summer humidity, slick as ice to walk on.

Dave