Barn cats in winter?

/ Barn cats in winter? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
It seems I now have a young male cat. Someone must have dropped it off. Every evening it sits under our pine trees and watches us.

I bought a bag of cat food and every evening I go out and fill its dish and pet it a bit. I thought it would be good to have around to kill the chipmunks (we're overrun with them). Its not been de-clawed.

The question I have is how to help it survive the winter? I have an unheated building where I can leave a door cracked and I thought I might put an insulated box in there with a blanket inside. I've never had a cat. Is it going to be warm enough in something like that? Here in MN it can get to be -20 below zero.

Even now the evenings are getting cool.

/ Barn cats in winter? #2  
A box lined with pink styrofoam is perfect. They can survive outside all winter, but their ears will get eaten away from frostbite.

/ Barn cats in winter? #3  
If it can get into a sheltered bed out of the wind and weather, with bedding that doesn't draw damp, it should be just fine. I had a shed cat once that I put a triangular bed in a corner about 5' off the ground with a little ramp along one wall. He was healthy. Met me on the back porch every morning and would ride on my shoulder to the chicken house.

/ Barn cats in winter? #4  
The 5 foot off the ground is really good, and the enclosure needs to be insulated so his body heat will keep him warn.. Dry and warm and out of the wind is the key. And the cat will need food and water every day. Of course winter around here is nothing like what you have, so kittys don't have as hard of a time down here. He needs a place off the floor so his feet can get warm.

James K0UA

/ Barn cats in winter? #5  
They sell heated sleeping pads for cats. Amazon.com: K&H 3093 Extreme Weather Kitty Pad with Fleece Cover: Pet Supplies I had a large male cat that I used one with. I fixed him a insulated area, installed the heating pad, which is controlled by a thermostat he could sleep day or night. He lasted for five years then a Coyote got him. I then got the coyote. I often wonder if the Coyote thought the meal was worth the price he paid.

/ Barn cats in winter? #6  
My apologies...... I mis-read the title, and thought it was a question looking for opinion. Thought it said "Burn Cats In Winter?" I was going to reply.... sure, whatever you have handy to throw in the wood stove. But.... now I have no advice to add.

:(

/ Barn cats in winter? #7  
They sell heated sleeping pads for cats. Amazon.com: K&H 3093 Extreme Weather Kitty Pad with Fleece Cover: Pet Supplies I had a large male cat that I used one with. He lasted for five years then a Coyote got him. I then got the coyote. I often wonder if the Coyote thought the meal was worth the price he paid.

That is the trouble we have had with out outside kitty's.. they are really handy to keep the rodents down but then the dang coyotes and foxes eat our cats.

James K0UA

/ Barn cats in winter? #8  
It seems I now have a young male cat. Someone must have dropped it off. Every evening it sits under our pine trees and watches us.

BTW, if you don't get him neutered, he will be 6 pounds of hellacious fury that will naw your arm off if you try to go near him.

/ Barn cats in winter? #9  
Our last full outside cat was not mean, he was intact. The only thing if they are not "tutored" they tend to roam.. but he was plenty friendly.

/ Barn cats in winter? #10  
My apologies...... I mis-read the title, and thought it was a question looking for opinion. Thought it said "Burn Cats In Winter?" I was going to reply.... sure, whatever you have handy to throw in the wood stove. But.... now I have no advice to add.

:(

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one with the poor eyesight...Anyway, I have a non-fixed non-declawed Siamese Cat ( named him Kittie), who adopted me. That's kinda a goof, as I am not a cat person. He thinks he's a dog I guess and can be very affectionate most of the time, but will nail grammie every time she tries to rub his back. Scratch his head - okay, rub his nose - okay, try to rub his back and he nails ya. After 5 years you'd think she would get the picture...