GUN ADVICE

/ GUN ADVICE #1  

loudhornsrule

Bronze Member
Neighbor's dog's all but killed 3 of my calves. Dont know if they will all make it or not. When the dogs come back I need to be able to shoot them at 250 yards or less. I dont care about being humane, so if I just mortally wound them and they die a week later that will be fine. I have a 22 , but I can't get close enough. Any suggestions? Dont want to spend alot of money , but need a gun that will get out far enough. No bleeding hearts please. I just need an idea of range and gun caliber. Thanks

/ GUN ADVICE #2  
.243 package deal with scope and all.
Always on sale for kids deer starter guns.

/ GUN ADVICE
Dusty do you have any idea of the range? Price? thanks

/ GUN ADVICE #4  
300 yds is well in range
Savage / Stevens
Remington
Weatherby

Package deal scope mounted tax and all should be 500 or less

/ GUN ADVICE #7  
Mossberg 100 ATR .243
Savage XP .243 with scope

That's just a couple of good deals that I could find quickly. Also, depending on where you live, walmart may carry guns.

.243 is a good choice for caliber. Light recoil, good velocity, typically acurate, reasonably priced ammo.
Another great "varmint" gun caliber is the .223. Even lighter recoil and cheaper ammo. And, it will still drop a canine at 250 yards. My choice for a farm truck gun is a Ruger Mini-14 in .223. It has a Nikon 3-9x40 scope on it. I've killed coyotes at 200-300 yards with it.
This is what I have: Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle

/ GUN ADVICE #8  
Might also consider something used with a scope already on it. I have had good luck with a couple used rifles, looked like they maybe had a box of ammo thru them. Local gun shop has a fair selection of new and used.

Don't know where you are at, but around here there is a waiting period; tough to wait 10 days if dogs are getting your livestock. Know of anyone who would loan you something, or come over and take care of things for you?

Whatever you get, it will need to have the sights/scope verified(check it is sighted in)

/ GUN ADVICE #9  
You can't get the Sheriff involved or the DNR? I've heard some horror stories about people killing neighbors dogs and a lot of them went bad for the shooter. Not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, just something to think about.

/ GUN ADVICE #10  
Some things are best done and never spoken of.