Crickets in the basement - They've got to go!

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Folks,

My house is really small and we are forced to live in the unfinished basement. I've got a bunch of boxes, a guest bedroom, my home office, my wife's sewing room, the girls homeschool computer, craft table & also we have the big screen, a couple couches and an air hockey table. Forgot the washer and dryer too! This is living space even though it is unfinished.

Well somehow one cricket got in, and now there are a number of them. I'm not a expert on crickets, but they're eating SOMETHING, they are making noise, etc. I would really like to get them.

Got any secrets? Will a roach motel catch them?

Please send me any good advice you have. I can't really do some sort of strong poison because the 3 year old still sticks EVERYTHING in her mouth...

Thanks in advance.

Be well,
David

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #2  
David, I sure "hear" your pain, them little Ba$%^#$ "bug" me to death. The wife and I will go on a search and destroy mission because they are so annoying. I don't know what chemical you can use, we have used bug spray for the ones we knew where in crack or crevice. Little noises like that bother me to no end, I must be very simple:laughing: If I heard my neighbors faucet dripping at night, I'd be knocking on his door asking if I could "fix" it.:D

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #3  
stuff is called Demon. Use it around outside of my house. Comes in a powder packet, drop in your pump sprayer. plastic packet dissolves.

Kills any bug that crosses it.

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #4  
Glue traps work good too, I catch a lot of them in mine.

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #5  
I used to get crickets in the basement of my old house every autumn. They were followed by one or two toads that must have come down the stairs from the garage. Initially I would find the toads and put them outside but I started to notice toad poo in the form of cricket shells and realized that the crickets were attracting the toads and the toads were hunting down the crickets!

Once I figured out what was happening, I left the toads alone until I didn't hear any more crickets chirping. Then I would find the toads and move them outside on a warm fall day so that they could find a hibernation site before freeze-up. I put out a shallow jar lid with some water in it and that attracted the toads so that I could find them. A completely organic system! :thumbsup:

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #6  
Howdy David ! You sure they are crickets ? They might be stray locusts close by you because someone in DC refuses to "LET MY PEOPLE GO" ! Sound familiar "Brother" :)

BTW almost forgot I got the solution : When you catch the fox turn him loose on the cricket in the basement. :D
Wishing You all well David !

Boone

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #7  
David, Crickets make really good panfish bait! Get the children to hand catch them and go fishing!

James K0UA

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #8  
Grab a hose'd vacuum and go on a hunt...
Should not take too long to evacuate the pests.

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go! #9  
whats wrong with upstairs??? is mr. fox up there?

/ Crickets in the basement - They've got to go!
Ain't seen hide nor hair of the foxes since we built the chik'n shak & run. Last bird death was olde age.

Upstairs is full. We moved out of a large over 5000 square foot 6 bedroom into 2 bedroom 1340 finished square feet. Attic is unfinished and full of stuff, basement has even more stuff.

Crickets are behind boxes and furniture, what do they eat so I can temt them out?

Driving me crazy...

PS - no toads inside yet. Guess we keep the doors closed better than I thought...

David