Game/trail camera recommendations

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #1  

MRSDOUGLAS

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
I would like to pick up at least a couple game or trail cameras (not sure there is a difference) to put on our 45 acres. One I would put by the gate to capture any activity coming onto the property but would also be pointing toward the creek to capture two and four legged critters, the other to move to various locations to see what wildlife is there. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Dawn

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #2  
I would look for the type that dont have flash. If near roads they will come up missing. Co worker had this happen on his fathers land. As far as brands I think they all are good now days

/ Game/trail camera recommendations
Good point. We are at the end of a private road so I don't think there will be much activity from people but a good thing to consider.

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #4  
Recommend infrared flash, there are a bunch, 20+ brands, being made...I see you're from Texas, academy sports has several as does bass pro and cabelas...look at features such as mega pixels, what size sd card it will accept, what kind of batteries, for your purposes primos, moutrie, camtrakker are all good and take nice pictures....prices will range from $60 - $500...you will get what you pay for but $120 - $200 will get you a nice setup....just my :2cents: worth...

Rich

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #5  
I switched to Moultrie M80 cameras a little over a year ago after a friend demonstrated to me that it will take 3000+ pictures over 200+ days on a single set of 8 AA lithium batteries. They have been the best value cameras I've tried, and I tried almost every one on the market 2010 and older. I will never own a strobe flash, or a 6v lantern battery powered camera again.

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #6  
:welcome:

lots of price/feature range in these cameras....I'd decide what features I needed, then purchase that.
I've had good experience with WILDGAME cameras

Features I like in a top end camera include
external battery port...
handle large memory card
infrared that is not visible to human eye....reduces risk of someone stealing it
screen for preview of photos built into the camera itself, gives you instant feedback and don't have to wait to get back to computer to see what you have.
Recently, size of cameras have been significantly reduced...game doesn't care about size, but makes it easier to hide from people
video ability....adds lots of interest/information....good reason for big memory card.
activation on motion at 50 to 60 feet.

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #7  
I have a Bushnell Trophy Cam and would highly recommend it. Great quality photos both day and night and fantastic battery life. I purchased lithium batteries to use in it and have taken over 4,000 photos during a 4 month period with the same batteries. One thing I did was to purchase several SD cards so all I ever do is switch out the card which allows me to leave the camera up and running. Good Luck.

/ Game/trail camera recommendations
Thanks for the feedback folks, it gives me a great starting point.

Dawn

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #9  
I have had good luck with Bushnell Trophy cams(own 2),long battery life,stills,nite and day video.Had terrible luck with Wildgame Innovation cameras(alot of others have too).
check out chasinggame.com for camera reviews.There are better cameras out there at $500.00 + but the Bushnells for about $150.00 worked for me.

/ Game/trail camera recommendations #10  
:welcome:

I agree with Texasjohn, Wildgame Innovations cameras are a lot of "bang for the buck." I have the 4 megapixel with the infrared flash.
Here's a couple of pics from mine, one each of a daytime and nighttime shot.