Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Default Re: Hickory Logs; What to do with them?

deere, If you have ants in the log, they may tell you to get the heck out right now because they don't want the ants in the mill. The others are a little to small for them to deal with. If you had a bandsaw in your shop, you might be able to saw some boards out of them, just cut them in 3-4 ft lengths and cut a couple of boards off. Sticker them, with weights on top, and let them dry for a year per inch. Also wax the ends to keep splitting down.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Judd View Post
    deere, If you have ants in the log, they may tell you to get the heck out right now because they don't want the ants in the mill. The others are a little to small for them to deal with. If you had a bandsaw in your shop, you might be able to saw some boards out of them, just cut them in 3-4 ft lengths and cut a couple of boards off. Sticker them, with weights on top, and let them dry for a year per inch. Also wax the ends to keep splitting down.
    I dont think your going to lift a 12" diameter 10ft long hickory log onto your bandsaw!!
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Clemsonfor, I was talking about the 6 inch logs on the bandsaw. I resaw on my bandsaw up to 11 3/4 inches. I have a couple of jigs that I screw into the log, and then run them against a fence on the table. It is not rocket science, 3-4 feet at 10 inches can be managed if your bandsaw, has the capacity. Might want to have a friend to help lift the log into place.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    L3130 Kubota

If they have ants you can still trade or sell them to a guy that smokes bbq. Over the course of about a year I traded a huge oak downed by hurricane Ike with a pro smoker, wood for meat. Mmmmm, bbq.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

If you don't have many logs to saw it wouldn't be worth taking them to a mill, cost wise anyways. Unless your emotionally attached to these former trees then just use them for firewood. Now, if you had posted this 3 yrs ago when they were still green, I would say to leave them log length that you have, and call someone with a portable sawmill to mill them. You don't want logs laying around for long until you mill them. Hickory is a whole lot better than pine in that regard but overall, you want to mill them green. Then of course, rule of thumb for hardwood is one inch per year when properly stacked and stickered.
    Logs sitting around for 3 yrs aren't going to be worth it. There is no need to cut them to 8'6" unless you want dimensional lumber. I mill most of my logs much longer, but I'm using them for timber framing projects and not to build a shed. If in the future you find some trees that would make some nice logs, it's best to find a sawmill beforehand, then ask them what they would like you to cut the logs to, then take the tree down.

Also, not all lumber has to be perfectly straight, you can make some very interesting pieces of furniture with crotched or crooked lumber.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Thanks for all the input and good ideas folks. What started out for me as a good idea turned to crap real fast. I just wish I would have considered milling them when I cut them down, I would have done things a whole lot different. It's to late to cry over spilled milk. Next time I will be a little more diligent when cutting the tree down and getting it to the mill.

Chuck
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510 w/FEL

deere Dude, I love your avatar.

As for the ant infested hickory...
    Quote Originally Posted by big e View Post
    Mmmmm, bbq.
    +1

- djb
    The best things in life aren't things.

2003 Mahindra 3510 with front end loader
    2010 Dixie Chopper 2550 ZTM: 25 hp Kohler, 50" cut

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by deere Dude View Post
    Thanks for all the input and good ideas folks. What started out for me as a good idea turned to crap real fast. I just wish I would have considered milling them when I cut them down, I would have done things a whole lot different. It's to late to cry over spilled milk. Next time I will be a little more diligent when cutting the tree down and getting it to the mill.

Chuck
    On the bright side, it's the best firewood you can get!
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

The inner bark of a hickory is the best for weaving into chair seats. Lots of work but will last longer than you do.

Tractor
    for Cristmas 2011 found used Joh Deere 670 w/ 40 hrs and options

Quote Originally Posted by Piston

On the bright side, it's the best firewood you can get!
    Chuck
    Might make good B-B-Q smoking wood. Save the chips when you cut it.

One thing to consider next time ( for you or other members) see if there is a portable mill around. They can come right to the site. If they come out for a site check and bid before you drop the trees they can give you some great advise.
    My brother bought one as a part time job and to build a barn/shop using the trees off his 15 acres. If you work with the miller and use your tractor to skid logs to and onto the mill you should get a break on cost. And, you get the wood cut to your specs. If you have excess wood you might be able to barter if the miller has a market for the wood.

Good luck and best wishes.
    Ron JD 670
    Found used JD670 with 40 hrs barned with FEL, 5' Rake, 7' Blade, 9" X 3' Rankin Auger.
    Have added Box Blade, RM, Forks, plus some blood sweat and tears.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast