Hickory Logs; What to do with them?

/ Hickory Logs; What to do with them?
Okay, I have a few medium sized logs that I think will be fine for a mill. In the meantime, my neighbor just cut down an oak tree about 28" in diameter and the trunk is pretty straight for about 20+ feet or so. I don't know what kind of oak it is. If I was going to guess I would say red oak, but not sure. I plan on switching some of my hickory logs I have for the equivalent oak trunk I would take from him. He was just going to burn it in the fireplace anyway so it works for him.

The question is, this is not clear with no branches. There are 4-6" branch stubs off the side every few feet. Will that matter in the overall look of the oak. I usually just go down to the store and get clear oak and never milled anything so I am not sure what to expect. Will the branch stubs matter.

I am not a perfectionist when it comes to building stuff out of oak, but I do build some nice cabinets and whatnot.

I am still going to try to mill a couple hickory logs.

Chuck

/ Hickory Logs; What to do with them? #32  
The knots will show in the boards, but can be an asset depending how you work the boards into your project. And will get smaller the closer you get to the center of the log. Just hope for tight knots after the air dry.

/ Hickory Logs; What to do with them? #33  
4-6" are large for any type of furniture. Of the sawyer knows what he is doing he can minimize the effects of the stress in the log and the
Placement of the knots. A 28" oak that long is going to be extremely heavy.

/ Hickory Logs; What to do with them?
4-6" are large for any type of furniture. Of the sawyer knows what he is doing he can minimize the effects of the stress in the log and the
Placement of the knots. A 28" oak that long is going to be extremely heavy.

I am just wrapping up switching them for some hickory. Trading cubic feet for cubic feet sucked most of my pile down, but at least these are just cut. I got 11' and a 12' approx. logs, and they are super heavy. One I could only lift a couple inches and the other less than that. I'm counting on the mill to do what is right with them.