Shop floor fan

/ Shop floor fan #1  

KYDan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD
After this summer I decided to find a method to make the shop more bearable during the summer heat. I used a couple of old window box fans this year that helped but they were somewhat ineffective. I had to place them too close to where I was working in order for them to be of any use. I debated about one of the big floor fans that Tractor Supply offers. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth the money? I thought I might be able to pick one up from my local TSC when/if they mark them down this fall. I just don't want to waste my money.

/ Shop floor fan #2  
I have a 6,000 square foot building and faced the same issues with heat. I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a 24" floor "barn" fan and also a 30" air circulator on a stand. On sale with a 20% coupon you can buy these for a pretty reasonable price. The 30" fan on a stand took a while to assemble, while the barn fan was pretty much plug and play.

The 30" fan moves more air, but the motor gets pretty hot while doing so which concerns me. The barn fan is not as efficient but also doesn't seem to get as hot while running.

24" High Velocity Floor Fan

30" High Velocity Air Circulator

I looked at a barn fan on clearance at TSC last fall but it was still quite a bit more money. I ended up getting both fans at HF for less than the cost of the clearance fan at TSC. I would have preferred buying a used older fan that was made in the USA, but they were hard to find at the time. Time will tell how the HF fans hold up.

/ Shop floor fan
Thanks, I looked on the HF site and the only fans that they currently offer got some pretty poor reviews. There were mixed reviews on the TSC fans. There was a 24" shop fan that got really good reviews, but I don't think it will move enough air to suit my needs. It is a big shop, 36 X 50 X 13H. All the doors are on the same side so I need an exhaust and intake I think. I don't want to cut any holes in the walls for numerous reasons. I waited until the end of the season to seriously shop for these hoping to find some closeout bargains. Our local TSC still has several on hand.

/ Shop floor fan #4  
I hear you. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the TSC drum fans are most likely also made in China. At that price point it's hard to find a quality fan that will work well AND last a long time.

My work takes me into Distribution Centers all over North America, and what I see them using to move air is either the "Big *****" ceiling fans or the Patterson Air Cannons in the aisles. Neither of them are cheap options, but they must last a long time as these are 24/7/365 operations.....

Industrial Ceiling Fans | Commercial Ceiling Fans | Residential Ceiling Fans

Amazon.com: PATTERSON H22B-CS Air Cannon,22 In,208-230/460 V: Home Improvement

/ Shop floor fan
Yes, the BA fans are superb, however, I only have a cheapo budget! I liked the Yellow Jacket for my application, but my wallet kicked my as_! I appreciate your assistance. Yes, TSC is the Farm HF, I looked at both fans and they appear to be identical. Both places are easy to deal with and they do stand behind their merchandise. I have had mixed results with their products, some have been great and some aren't worth carrying home. I will most likely just go the TSC route if they mark them down and buy two of the 24" portable ones as they got really good reviews and I can place them as intake and exhaust to move some air on those hot days.