Boston Butt

/ Boston Butt #21  
Yup sounds great I know I need to go buy one tonite and get it marinated and injected for Sunday! Saturday we have a poker run for a little girl with a blood disorder so I wont be cooking Saturday or prepping Que either but I can cook all day Sunday long as I get my butt in gear. :D :laughing:

/ Boston Butt #22  
Yup sounds great I know I need to go buy one tonite and get it marinated and injected for Sunday! Saturday we have a poker run for a little girl with a blood disorder so I wont be cooking Saturday or prepping Que either but I can cook all day Sunday long as I get my butt in gear. :D :laughing:

Just make sure that you inject and marinate the correct butt! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Boston Butt #24  
I typically use a cider vinegar brine with brown sugar and pepper over night, then get smoker up to around 220 or so and maintain it. I slow smoke it and baste with vinegar and black pepper until its 180 degrees temp or tender. Keep the fat side up so the juices run though the meat as it smokes helping not to dry it out. Look on line for a recipe, you tube also covers it well. I perfer hickory. Let it cool off a hour or so,then pull it with a fork,add some maurices BBQ mustard and buns and you should be good to go.

Don't let it dry out,you should still have some grain in the meat

/ Boston Butt #25  
Don't know if there are fellow Big Green Egg users on here but if you don't have one...you have no idea what you are missing. I cook butts for 18 hours at 210 degrees with hickory and apple chips...yummmmmmm.

/ Boston Butt #26  
Awwww man...you guys are killin' me....

/ Boston Butt #27  
OK - Look guys ...you have to trust me on this...If you don't have an injector then buy one...they are not that expensive...just a big syringe...then take apple cider vinegar 1/2 and 1/2 store brand BBQ sauce or your own concoction...about 2 cups total is enough for a 6 to 8 lb pork butt...then inject it all over ...deep inside the butt...you will see it swell up a lot...do this after you have put whatever rub you desire on the outside ...I only use black pepper and granulated garlic...then place the butt on the side of your grill with no heat under it...cook at 250 deg. or so until the internal temp is at least 195 deg..it will not be dry....and you need no further sauce...it is cooked in and you can taste the pork ..it is not buried by the sauce....trust me here.

/ Boston Butt #28  
I was wondering how a pressure cooker would do on a butt?
Anyone ever tried that?
sherpa

It would work great but the meat will look like you killed ET (pale white). Perhaps 1/2 hour in a smoker afterwards with heavy smoke would add some color and flavor. I have no idea how long in a pressure cooker would take but you need to hit 195 to 205 degree internal meat temperatures to have it pull easy.

/ Boston Butt #29  
I still cook exactly the same way as I did when I was competing in KCBS comps so hopefully I can keep my touch. ;)

I am a believer in foil I wrap my butts @ 165 since meat quits taking smoke at about that temp and add the Stubbs in the foil and continue till 205 that takes about 1 1/2 hour more on 8.5# butts on my smoker anyway for a total of about 8.5-10 hours give or take cooking @ 250-275. We used to put our big cuts on @ 2:30-3 AM for a 2-2:30 pm turn in fwtw.

I also double smoke my pork once I have the de-fatted juices poured back over the pulled pork all in a pan. I shake some rub on and put the pan uncovered back in for an hour on smoke @180 or so tossing it occasionally. (I always save the money muscle off to the side for me to snack on when I cook at home or doing a catering. :licking:)

For those that dont know that term its like this...fat down-bone to the left-money muscle to the right. Its a small roll of meat with angled striations of fat and is the best muscle in the butt fact its how we all buy our butts by that one muscle. I go thru the cases of meat back in their coolers at sams and walmart and dillons grocery stores to find just the right ones. fwtw.

/ Boston Butt #30  
Don't know if there are fellow Big Green Egg users on here but if you don't have one...you have no idea what you are missing. I cook butts for 18 hours at 210 degrees with hickory and apple chips...yummmmmmm.

See my post, #8 above. I have had mine for about 5 years; love it. Ribs and pulled pork are among my best.