Boston Butt

/ Boston Butt #31  
s219 said:
One thing to think of with the crock pot is that it will braise the meat, since it will trap moisture in the pot. Braising is an OK technique for tough meats (pot roast, etc) but I probably wouldn't like to do this to a nice tender pork butt. If it were me, I'd finish cooking in the oven, not the crock pot.

To each his own, but don't knock the slow cooker until you've tried it. It makes a moister BBQ it's true, but it is very good, and dead simple.

One thought might be to drain it and finish it for just 30 minutes in the oven to bake the BBQ on, if you like that glazed style.

/ Boston Butt #32  
I often will slow smoke for 3-4 hrs in the morning then wrap meat tight in foil and finish in slow cooker with a couple cups of plain water around foil.

Have fun--J

/ Boston Butt #33  
Foil turns it to mush in my mind and I never inject butt with anything...a little rub, yes.

/ Boston Butt #34  
I looked at the green egg years ago,but hte price was high for the cooking space, and you only got the egg (Which does not stand up,table was extra) SO I walked.I see more off brands coming round now though. Saw one at lows for 599, with stand, and heavy construction......I know ....nothing beats the egg....pun intended!

/ Boston Butt #35  
I looked at the green egg years ago,but hte price was high for the cooking space, and you only got the egg (Which does not stand up,table was extra) SO I walked.I see more off brands coming round now though. Saw one at lows for 599, with stand, and heavy construction......I know ....nothing beats the egg....pun intended!

The egg carries a lifetime gaurantee and certain ceramic parts do eventually break up (fire ring). You can sear at 900 degrees, bake at any temp, slow cook at 200 for 24 hours without touching a thing. I love to cook butts when it is 20 below and snow blowing...makes bbq all the better. Didn't even want to talk about smoking salmon and cheese. Nothing beats the BGE...nothing! Hands down getting an egg and cooking to temperature raised my culinary ability 1000%. I can out cook any restaurant for meat and now only order pasta cause they fall through the egg grate. :licking:

/ Boston Butt #36  
There is the key words right there as far as I am concerned especially on BBQ but any cooking for that matter -sdkubota said "cook to temp" I agree. :thumbsup:

btw I didn't do a butt this past weekend after all I didn't have time but did do a pre-marinated pork tenderloin. That's another chunk of meat thats hard to beat and it can be fixed at a moments notice thats a real plus! :licking:

/ Boston Butt #37  
There is the key words right there as far as I am concerned especially on BBQ but any cooking for that matter -sdkubota said "cook to temp" I agree. :thumbsup:

btw I didn't do a butt this past weekend after all I didn't have time but did do a pre-marinated pork tenderloin. That's another chunk of meat thats hard to beat and it can be fixed at a moments notice thats a real plus! :licking:

Not meaning to come across at a know-it-all but a pork tenderloin is very lean and should be cooked to 135internal temp, pulled from heat source, and then rested until the meat hits 140 which is the minimum "safe" temp for pork. At 160 degree internal temp pork tenderloin can be nailed to the bottom of shoes and last a surprisingly long time...very durable and hard to chew. :eek:

The leaner the meat, the faster and higher heat cook needed to reduce drying out.

/ Boston Butt #38  
The egg carries a lifetime gaurantee and certain ceramic parts do eventually break up (fire ring). You can sear at 900 degrees, bake at any temp, slow cook at 200 for 24 hours without touching a thing. I love to cook butts when it is 20 below and snow blowing...makes bbq all the better. Didn't even want to talk about smoking salmon and cheese. Nothing beats the BGE...nothing! Hands down getting an egg and cooking to temperature raised my culinary ability 1000%. I can out cook any restaurant for meat and now only order pasta cause they fall through the egg grate. :licking:

Weber makes a "Smokey Mountain Smoker" that is considerably cheaper than the Egg. It is all metal and has two cooking grates instead of one, so you can cook twice as much on it. I have the small Weber (about $200; the larger one is about $400 and will probably hold at least 3 times as much as the Egg). The food cooked on the Weber is excellent; in fact I prefer it for chickens because they stay more moist than the Egg...that's because the Weber has a water pan that not only mitigates the heat, but provides moisture for the meat.

The drawback on the Weber is that you have to watch the water pan and keep water in it or it will get too hot, and when you're done, it's a mess to clean up. We have a big cook out at our house every year for our car club; I cook baby-backs on the Egg and chickens and sausage (and ribs if the need be) on the Weber. I cooked on the Weber for several years without complaint until I finally got the Egg. I much prefer cooking on the Egg, though; it's just easier, cleaner and handier.

/ Boston Butt #39  
Weber makes a "Smokey Mountain Smoker" that is considerably cheaper than the Egg. It is all metal and has two cooking grates instead of one, so you can cook twice as much on it. I have the small Weber (about $200; the larger one is about $400 and will probably hold at least 3 times as much as the Egg). The food cooked on the Weber is excellent; in fact I prefer it for chickens because they stay more moist than the Egg...that's because the Weber has a water pan that not only mitigates the heat, but provides moisture for the meat.

The drawback on the Weber is that you have to watch the water pan and keep water in it or it will get too hot, and when you're done, it's a mess to clean up. We have a big cook out at our house every year for our car club; I cook baby-backs on the Egg and chickens and sausage (and ribs if the need be) on the Weber. I cooked on the Weber for several years without complaint until I finally got the Egg. I much prefer cooking on the Egg, though; it's just easier, cleaner and handier.

Whatever floats your boat but the egg's ceramics hold the heat allowing you to cook 24 hrs in subzero without lifting the lid. It also maintains high humidty levels eliminating the need for any water tray etc. I believe I was 48 years old before getting an egg although heard about how great they were for 5 years prior...I though, yea right. They are incredible cookers based on clay ovens used for thousands of years. I have told 10+ people to buy one and if they didn't like it I would buy it from them. I have never had to buy one from them... I have no affiliation with BGE but will tell you they are the best cooker out there, hands down.

/ Boston Butt #40  
Not meaning to come across at a know-it-all but a pork tenderloin is very lean and should be cooked to 135internal temp, pulled from heat source, and then rested until the meat hits 140 which is the minimum "safe" temp for pork. At 160 degree internal temp pork tenderloin can be nailed to the bottom of shoes and last a surprisingly long time...very durable and hard to chew. :eek:

The leaner the meat, the faster and higher heat cook needed to reduce drying out.

Actually its 145 with a 3 minute rest fyi.