Boston Butt

/ Boston Butt #51  
This is all killing me. My attempts at smoking duck has resulted in bitter tasting meat.
I had a different smoker years back and would produce very flavorfull smoked Bass. But that cooker was a big friggin thing and took about quarter cord to cook something up.
I now have a Brinkman and just can't seem to get the same results.
Man, would I like to smoke up some ribs.

/ Boston Butt #52  
Just so you dont feel like the lone ranger I buy smart chicken and so do quite a few top BBQ teams thats where I found out about them. One reason we like it is the fat is generally white rather than yellow and the meat is usually moister it has to do with what they are fed like all meats it ends up in the fat.

People ought to see what a real good brisket costs this is absolutely nothing. fwtw

/ Boston Butt #53  
This is all killing me. My attempts at smoking duck has resulted in bitter tasting meat.
I had a different smoker years back and would produce very flavorfull smoked Bass. But that cooker was a big friggin thing and took about quarter cord to cook something up.

Here is my surefire rib method that is sacreligous but it works fantastically:

Place rack of ribs, tied in coil, into pressure cooker. Bring up to 15 psi pressure and cook 20 minutes. Run water over pressure cooker to rapidly release pressure and remove ribs. The will now resemble ET but will be nearly falling apart. Place ribs on waiting grill at around 350 degrees and throw a couple chunks of hardwood and a handful of apple chips on coals right before placing ribs. You are looking for heavy smoke. Cook ribs 10 minutes per side and remove. The will be the best ribs you ever had...forgive me BBQ God!

/ Boston Butt #55  
Blasphemy!

/ Boston Butt #56  
I knew I would be chastized and if you would rather cook for 6 hours instead of 1 be my guest. I will gaurantee my ribs would win any contest though. Turns out pressure cooking is fantastic at breaking down tough meat. Try my method then criticize.

/ Boston Butt #57  

If you have the upright Brinkman with 2 grates and a water pan, you should be able to get a good slab of ribs; just make sure that you can maintain a temperature of about 250 degrees. If you maintain the water pan, it will mitigate the heat so it doesn't get too hot. My concern with the Brinkman I had was keeping the temperature up.

I take my ribs (baby backs usually) and rub them down with my special rub blend; Cains makes a good rub, and Bad Byron's Butt Rubb is good also, just a tad hot. I first spray them down with some olive oil, and apply a generous amount of rub and them I put them in an oven bag over night. Set them out an hour or so early to let them warm up a bit before putting them on the grill.

I use a mixture of well seasoned Mesquite wood, Pecan and blackjack oak. I put on enough to make a lot of smoke early, and don't add any more. Mesquite is pretty strong, and it will make your meat bitter if you use too much, as will green wood. I do not soak my wood.

It's up to you to decide when they are done; usually always less than 3 hours in the egg. Full slabs of spare ribs usually take about 4 hours or less.

Good luck.

/ Boston Butt #58  
Just so you dont feel like the lone ranger I buy smart chicken and so do quite a few top BBQ teams thats where I found out about them. One reason we like it is the fat is generally white rather than yellow and the meat is usually moister it has to do with what they are fed like all meats it ends up in the fat.

People ought to see what a real good brisket costs this is absolutely nothing. fwtw

The difference in taste is quite apparent; and they cook up on the smoker exceptionally well. Briskit...well...that's another story. I have had outstanding successes and dismal failures with briskit. At $30 a pop, I don't like failure.

/ Boston Butt #60  
Now 2 lane and Car Doc.....Just how smart can the Chicken be if he ended up on your grill....:)

Come to think of it, there is a certain amount of irony involved in purchasing a chicken that is dressed, wrapped and bearing the label "Smart Chicken"...:D