Boston Butt

/ Boston Butt #71  
Interesting thing I tried a couple years ago, that was really really good...

Was at a gun show, and a guy had a big trailered smoker there selling tri tip sandwhiches and what not. Well, he was also putting regular old frozen corn dogs from Costco in the smoker.... Those were just awesome corndogs! So simple, easy and YUMMY!

/ Boston Butt #72  
I smoke cheder and mozerella cheese regularly in my egg. It is a little tricky but you end up with what I refer to as the crack cocaine of dairy. The thing is, if you try some immediately after smoking it is bitter and terrible but let it age for a week or two and you have pure wowwwww!

/ Boston Butt #73  
Yeah $30 sounds like a lot to some folks briskets are quite expensive true. We normally pay about $5-6 a pound for plain old CAB briskets (certified black angus briskets) in USDA choice. And most guys use packers which are un-trimmed and weigh between 16 and 18 lbs we normally wet age them for about 50 days also before a contest. fwtw

fwtw If a person can swing the money Japanese wagu (sp?) and USDA prime briskets will run a whole lot more than that a whole lot more and are worth every penny so long as you get them cooked right. :licking:

edit: this is why I always go thru the cases of big cuts at sams and the meat stores etc so I can pick my own cuts. quite often a prime brisket will get thru and some choice cuts are indistinguishable from prime its the feel of the cut the "flex" and mainly the fat striations and overall thickness for slicing properly you look for to compare cuts and no knife cuts anywhere on them to mess you up at turn in time. fwtw

If you are so inclined, I would be interested to hear more on how you cook (and age) a briskit. My results are all over the place; problem areas: too dry or too tough or both. My best briskit I ever cooked was covered heavily in sugar, allowed to sit over night and then prepared with my rubb and cooked at 250 until it reached 195. The next one, prepared the same way, was a bit too tough. I suspect it was the quality of the meat; my assumption was that the long, slow cook time would compensate for quality, but apparently not. To quote Forrest Gump; "You never know what you're going to get".

/ Boston Butt #74  
This is what I like about BBQ folks; we can all have different opinions, different tastes and still be friends...we don't change each other's minds by cogent and clever arguments, but by exchanging recipes and cooking for our friends. It doesn't get much better than this!!!!!

Oh, it could be MUCH better! ;)

We could all be sitting around with all of our different grills, smokers, and That Egg, :laughing:, while cooking/grilling/smoking MEAT ok, and CHEESE, talking smack about who has the best BBQ, eating the BBQ to find the best and drinking good beer. :licking::laughing::D

THAT would be MUCH better. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Boston Butt #75  
I have had good luck with brisket but it is much more difficult cook than cooking butt. Slather in rub, place on egg, indirect heat, at 225 degree dome temp and leave for 16 hours or until internal temp gets close to 190 degrees. When you think it is about one, stick a fork into it and twist...if there is lttle resistance it is done if not keep cooking and checking. I also normally cool my brisket down before eating because it will fall apart it is so tender.

/ Boston Butt #76  
For the record...I only have a medium sized egg but can cook 2 - 8 lb butts, 14 lb brisket, 16 lb turkey, or seven hamburgers at a time. I got a good deal on it and have cooked for many guests. The only downsize is I have a max cooking time of around 17 hours before having to add lump. A large can easily go 24 hours on a load.

Egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, egg, .......:p

/ Boston Butt #77  
If you are so inclined, I would be interested to hear more on how you cook (and age) a briskit. My results are all over the place; problem areas: too dry or too tough or both. My best briskit I ever cooked was covered heavily in sugar, allowed to sit over night and then prepared with my rubb and cooked at 250 until it reached 195. The next one, prepared the same way, was a bit too tough. I suspect it was the quality of the meat; my assumption was that the long, slow cook time would compensate for quality, but apparently not. To quote Forrest Gump; "You never know what you're going to get".

Sure I will be very glad to share what I know like I mentioned getting the right piece of meat you think is good is half the challenge. Ive asked butchers etc how to pick meat and also learned in BBQ classes how various pro's do it so I do my best to do it like they do. Once you pick the right brisket I touched on that in my post and what I said is a pretty good rule of thumb if I see that the meat is about equal fat and meat in the grain I look closer at that one is where I start.

Then I look at it as far as how it will slice they need to be as close to equal in thickness from the edge of the point where the flat starts to the end of the cut where you start slicing it once its done. fwtw I look for knife cuts that are visible (not always can be seen in the cryovac but we look anyway) this wont be an issue for anything but a contest where the slices are each judged (you have 6 that are actually judged) and you only have so many slices to use anyway unless you cook 2 briskets. And some do some dont we always did and left over contest meat is great to feed the friends after the contest is over and take home.

The wet aging is done in a frig or walk in cooler etc that you dont use often dont attempt it in your beer fridge! :D The temp needs to be a constant 36-38 and stay there for the whole time. Next figuring out the kill date so the date they are ready is somewhat predictable another issue thats not so important to a backyard cookout but is if you have set contest dates known. Mostly un-frozen fresh meats like briskets are only a few days old when you see them. Sometimes there is a date on the label sometimes not and sometimes the meat man will have an idea. Give it 3-5 days if you dont know and thats what you take off the 45-50 day total time limit. edit: there will be a distinct odor not putrid but musty. all aged meat has a different smell to it I forgot to mention that and also we wash the meat off w/cold water and pat dry.

That's the start next flip the meat over so the label is on the back so you can see the bubbles that will tell you the aging progress and place it in the fridge and leave it alone. The bubbles will start to appear small at first. Dime size bubbles will be there in about 10-20 days, nickle size in 20-30, quarter size in 30-50 days. That is when they are at the peak any longer is not going to help the flavor its best not to go over 50. All this is going to depend on your fridge and how many times you change the temp by opening the door etc. Its bacteria that is doing the aging and some meat will not age this way if there is too much bacteria so if you see the bubbles accelerating faster than normal best use that one up or it will spoil.

As far as cooking them most guys I know and me too cook them at 250-275 and double wrap them at 160-165 and pull them off at 203 and open the foil so they quit cooking. Most of us also use multi layers of rubs and in certain steps its the part we all do our own way kind of the secret stuff sotospeak :laughing:. Some cut the point off at the 160 mark (we do) and put it on the smoker to make burnt ends with while the flat is wrapped and finished.

edit: Also briskets cook fast we rarely if ever need more than 8-9 hours 10-11 is really pushing it to do a brisket properly. I know for a fact Johnny Trigg only cooks his flats about 5 hours.

We dont leave any meat with rub on or injected for more than 4 hours period. Our reason being the high salt content will start curing/cooking the meat and will turn most cuts beef or pork into mush. But thats us ymmv on that as always but we experimented with brine (its allowed) also with good results but after so long trying all kinds of ways to prep we now try to make as few steps as possible anymore and still get the end product that works.

Lots of guys also inject the meat with either Butcher BBQ beef injection or whatever concoction they dream up or any number of commercial phosphate compounds. Sounds bad but it does improve the end product also costs a lot. Thats why a backyard cookout unless a person really wanted high marks he probably wouldn't use them. fwtw and I personally dont inject briskets I end up with more on me or the wall or the counter or the ceiling than in the meat so I dont inject them.

I hope I answered you questions! fwtw most of this info is also available on The Smoke Ring those are the folks that live and breathe BBQ so lots of great tips are there! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Boston Butt #78  
Thank you. I'll save this so I can study it later. As for the smoke ring, I have looked at it, and get some newsletters also, but it's confusing at best. I'm hoping to come up with a simplified plan before doing my next briskit.

/ Boston Butt #79  
Thank you. I'll save this so I can study it later. As for the smoke ring, I have looked at it, and get some newsletters also, but it's confusing at best. I'm hoping to come up with a simplified plan before doing my next briskit.

Welcome! I have found some of the info available is cryptic meaning a person has to read between the lines and insert what "obviously" missing etc so if thats what you refer to you are not alone.

The simplest plan I can suggest is get the best looking 5-6# flat you can find. Go thru all they have even ask for them to let you look in the back if you can. Trim the fat to about 1/4" and give it a med light/medium coat of Lowerys season salt and let it sit on the counter and sweat about an hour. Then rub it and over that put a med/med heavy coat of fresh ground black pepper smoke it fat up to 160-165. Double wrap it fat down and put a extra piece of foil on the rack and put the wrapped meat on top of that so it doesn't tear the foil and let the juices out. Then pull it off at 203 and let it rest an hour and slice it up this is about as fool proof as it gets I do it exactly like this all the time always comes out perfect, takes about 4.0-4.5 hrs maybe 5ish @ 250-275 depends on the smoker and the thermometers and the meat. hth :licking:

/ Boston Butt #80  
Welcome! I have found some of the info available is cryptic meaning a person has to read between the lines and insert what "obviously" missing etc so if thats what you refer to you are not alone.

The simplest plan I can suggest is get the best looking 5-6# flat you can find. Go thru all they have even ask for them to let you look in the back if you can. Trim the fat to about 1/4" and give it a med light/medium coat of Lowerys season salt and let it sit on the counter and sweat about an hour. Then rub it and over that put a med/med heavy coat of fresh ground black pepper smoke it fat up to 160-165. Double wrap it fat down and put a extra piece of foil on the rack and put the wrapped meat on top of that so it doesn't tear the foil and let the juices out. Then pull it off at 203 and let it rest an hour and slice it up this is about as fool proof as it gets I do it exactly like this all the time always comes out perfect, takes about 4.0-4.5 hrs maybe 5ish @ 250-275 depends on the smoker and the thermometers and the meat. hth :licking:

Thanks again. You know this goes against the conventional "wisdom" that seems to permeate the smoked briskit cult, but I'm going to try it. I may modify it slightly to use my own rubb, but I'm enthusiastic. Looked at some Angus briskits today, and they run considerably more than $30; some up in the $50 range. Thank you *****.