Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Default Ginseng anyone?

Well, not quite. I ordered 50 seeds on a whim this spring for fall planting; they came in this week so today I planted them. The directions told how to prep the bed,tilling and mulching, et al; I just dug a hole for each seed the way yhe articles about gathering it in the wild suggest.

Now for a cage to keep the squirrels and turkeys out.

Pretty cheap entertainment for $4.50.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: Ginseng anyone?

You will need to give us an update next year about how well they sprouted. I seem to recall people raising ginseng commercially in beds under shade canopies.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

If you can grow it should be pretty profitable , isnt that stuff worth like $140/ dried oz? I know it depends on queality.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor View Post
    If you can grow it should be pretty profitable , isnt that stuff worth like $140/ dried oz? I know it depends on queality.
    No Kidding!!! got my mind turning now, will be interested in this thread!
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

It takes about 6 years to mature, which will be about the time my fruit trees start producing.
    I'm doing it mostly to see if I can, but certainly will keep planting more if these take off well.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

I have been planting about a 1/2 pound of seed a year for the last two years. This was the first year I was able to harvest my own seed. Remember you need canopy over it, sunlight is not good it will dry out the seed.
    The seed also needs to be stratified. Ginseng seeds and ginseng rootlets for sale stratified and ready to plant ginseng seed and ginseng rootlets
    I put 4' fiberglass posts in the ground, and then put chicken wire along the bottom. Above the chickwire I run fishing line, with flagging. The deer dont like sticking their heads in the fishing line and the flagging keeps the birds out.
    The biggest problem if you plant a lot will be 2 legged pests when the plants get old enough.

The pamphlets that I have seen have given an estimate of 30k per acre, with 9 year old roots.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by forgeblast View Post
    I have been planting about a 1/2 pound of seed a year for the last two years. This was the first year I was able to harvest my own seed. Remember you need canopy over it, sunlight is not good it will dry out the seed.
    The seed also needs to be stratified. Ginseng seeds and ginseng rootlets for sale stratified and ready to plant ginseng seed and ginseng rootlets
    I put 4' fiberglass posts in the ground, and then put chicken wire along the bottom. Above the chickwire I run fishing line, with flagging. The deer dont like sticking their heads in the fishing line and the flagging keeps the birds out.
    The biggest problem if you plant a lot will be 2 legged pests when the plants get old enough.

The pamphlets that I have seen have given an estimate of 30k per acre, with 9 year old roots.
    Thanks, that's good to know. My patch is directly in back of my house, and not many people go there.
    I've always thought that a sugar bush would be a good place to grow it on a larger scale if you can keep the varmints out. (Including the 2 leggedvariety which you mentioned.)

It sounds like you are getting quite an operation going, hope it works out.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

we (the wife and I) made a list of ways that we could use our property to make extra money. We took the list and then divided each item
    up into amount of work (days, weeks, mts), difficulty of work, inital investment, potential earnings, and ability to get the product to market, and then just a few comments on if we wanted to do it.
    For example
    firewood, large amount of work, large degree of difficulty (hauling, splitting, stacking), about 1k in intial investment (log splitter, etc), earnings dependent on price of fuel and amount of producers in area, no truck so have to have people pick up cutting into profit, possibly work with a campground for wrapped firewood. (would do it if out of work, but would rather not since there are a lot of firewood producers in our area).
    Ginseng
    small amount of work (spring and fall)(spring set up fences and plant seed)(fall harvest berries)(work not very difficult garden like), intial investment 100 dollars a year until producing seed, fencing $, and then free, "potential" earnings 30k per acre, to get to market, slowly dry roots and then there are state regulated ginseng buyers.
    Woods-grown vs. wild-simulated ginseng
    Growing American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) in Forestlands - Home - Virginia Cooperative Extension
    http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bpola...pdfs/ginfs.pdf

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

Ginseng poachers take to the woods as prices soar - 8 News NOW
    I came across this article and thought it was timely.
    Ginseng poachers take to the woods as prices soar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast