Upgrading generator, need info

/ Upgrading generator, need info
Regarding the built in charger, I have never had one and have never had a problem. I just use a HF float charger, costs about $5, usually on sale. I use them on my tractor, my lawn mower and the generator. Keep it hooked up all the time except when I go to use the equipment, of course.

/ Upgrading generator, need info #12  
Regarding the built in charger, I have never had one and have never had a problem. I just use a HF float charger, costs about $5, usually on sale. I use them on my tractor, my lawn mower and the generator. Keep it hooked up all the time except when I go to use the equipment, of course.

I do that too with all my other equipment. For some reason on that particular model generac hides the battery so there's literally no access from outside and the only way to charge it is to plug it in, which is just a straight charge and doesn't float or monitor, so the result is quickly an overcharged battery. I've now modified mine so that there are leads coming out of the case that I can connect my battery charger to and bypass the on board system. Its just a case of bad design in my opinion, I think other models may be better or at least allow access to the battery without major disassembly.

/ Upgrading generator, need info #13  
I think most generators in the wattage range you're looking for are old school sine wave generators where the THD should be low (good). The newer inverter technology generators use PWM to "build" a sine wave, and THD could be an issue on a low end model.

Of course the old school models run at a high rpm regardless of load to maintain the 60 Hz frequency, where the inverters vary rpm based on load and the frequency is constant at 60 Hz.

/ Upgrading generator, need info
JimPS,

Thanks, that's good info I didn't know.

/ Upgrading generator, need info #15  
Yup. It's an approximated sinewave from varing spaced and duration square waves...as is with all SS electronics

/ Upgrading generator, need info #16  
Yup. It's an approximated sinewave from varing spaced and duration square waves...as is with all SS electronics

Does anyone have any experience with the impact of this approximated sinewave on motors reliability!

/ Upgrading generator, need info #17  
Does anyone have any experience with the impact of this approximated sinewave on motors reliability!

That would be a yes. What do you want to know?

/ Upgrading generator, need info #19  
Sorry Bob, I confused your question with a thread on VFD's