Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    344
    Location
    South PA/Western MD

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
    Otherwise, if you go clean and green first,they may not be as forgiving as you will be already recieving a reduction.
    You lost me here. What would be the reason for an appeal if I went clean and green? I thought it was a fixed rate set by the state and the county has no say. Maybe I acted too quickly as I just sent my application in. My appeal was this past Monday but I won't know the results for some time.

  2. #22
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    344
    Location
    South PA/Western MD

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
    The county reassessed in 08 or 09.
    OK, here is some background information with some crazy value swings. This county hasn't has an assessment, so I'm told, since 1957 so the taxes on this property was probably peanuts. 2009 assessment came back at a value of 325,000 and the seller had other money problems so the property went on the market. I just learned about this figure during my appeal when I saw the tax history, a bit stupid of me not to look into this when buying the property. The seller did however apply for an appeal but the results were not known until after we closed in October 2009. The appeal board lowered the value to 93,200 which I thought was reasonable but I never knew about the 325,000 figure. 2012 comes along and they bump it up to 225,000 which I appealed last Monday. Clean and Green value is 11,800 which I just applied for.

  3. #23
    Veteran Member Tollster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,339
    Location
    Benton, Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Quote Originally Posted by 955Lincoln View Post
    OK, here is some background information with some crazy value swings. This county hasn't has an assessment, so I'm told, since 1957 so the taxes on this property was probably peanuts. 2009 assessment came back at a value of 325,000 and the seller had other money problems so the property went on the market. I just learned about this figure during my appeal when I saw the tax history, a bit stupid of me not to look into this when buying the property. The seller did however apply for an appeal but the results were not known until after we closed in October 2009. The appeal board lowered the value to 93,200 which I thought was reasonable but I never knew about the 325,000 figure. 2012 comes along and they bump it up to 225,000 which I appealed last Monday. Clean and Green value is 11,800 which I just applied for.
    Be sure to get a professional to assess the value for your appeal process.
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

  4. #24
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    344
    Location
    South PA/Western MD

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
    Be sure to get a professional to assess the value for your appeal process.
    Is there still an appeal even through I signed up for clean and green? Is there more to the appeal process other than the hearing I attended last Monday? In other words, do I have to attend multiple hearings?

  5. #25
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    625
    Location
    N/A
    Tractor
    N/A

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Remember there are actually 3 different taxes in your property tax bill. The small one in the spring is for county and township, It seems to me that the Clean & Green program has no effect on those. The one you get mid summer is the school portion and is the BIG one. The Clean & Green comes into play on that one.

    An appeal would only help you on the county and township portion and may not be worth it, at least that is my recollection when I went through this about 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Storm56; 10-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    _____________________________

    John Deere 4700 - FEL & Backhoe
    McCormick C80L - FEL
    Bolens G152

  6. #26
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    850
    Location
    N.E. PA
    Tractor
    BX22

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    I have a clean and green as well on my 11 acres. Just enough to make the cut. The taxes are still set by the county I believe, but discounted by the act. Also I do not know if it has changed, but if you took property out of the 319 parcel, you owe the difference in taxes for 7 years. So a big plot that is subdivided for development, the non 319 section would owe 7 years of difference.

    paul

  7. #27
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,678
    Location
    Casey County, Kentucky

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    I had my last property in PA in clean and green. Being a farm, adding farm related buildings was not an issue. When I sold it in 2008, the buyer had no issue with it. In fact, the buyer welcomed all the help he could get.

    The big issue was with the school district which taxed on sales price. When we bought the place at 227k, I want to say the taxes were about 2500 and 319 got them down to maybe 1700. (I may be off on these figures) When we sold at 645, our taxes were around 3k or so. The buyer was looking at a potential tax bill of around 14k!

    Through some legal procedures, that was brought down to around 7.5k but still? We were on the market for maybe two years and had buyers from Jersey say they may as well stay put. In the end, location, turn key and I would like to say by the grace of god brought us a buyer right before the market went bad.

    Sadly, the area had many elderly farm owner's whose property had been purchased many years ago. Many of which went begging for buyers due to the tax basis.

  8. #28
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    344
    Location
    South PA/Western MD

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Quote Originally Posted by Storm56 View Post
    Remember there are actually 3 different taxes in your property tax bill. The small one in the spring is for county and township, It seems to me that the Clean & Green program has no effect on those. The one you get mid summer is the school portion and is the BIG one. The Clean & Green comes into play on that one.

    An appeal would only help you on the county and township portion and may not be worth it, at least that is my recollection when I went through this about 5 years ago.
    Thanks, I will check into that. The person at the tax office was talking like it applied to all taxes.

  9. #29
    Super Star Member RoyJackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    18,347
    Location
    Bethel, Vermont
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Quote Originally Posted by forgeblast View Post
    I have 20 acres, with most of it in clean and green.
    Its not a retroactive thing where if you build they come at you for back taxes. Its to cut down on junkyards and landfills. Its one of my issues with the pipeline people, if the pipeline goes in my taxes would go up.
    the local dept of ag can fill you in more but its a quality easy to use program.
    That's one of the things that must be considered when negotiating the pipeline ROW. You may not be able to stop the ROW, but you can ensure they pay any increased taxes for the foreseeable future.
    BTW, if you do settle, be advised the payment is considered income...and the pipeline company pays you the gross. I made that mistake and we had to pay at tax time. Don't make my mistake.
    Roy Jackson

    "Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

  10. #30
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    344
    Location
    South PA/Western MD

    Default Re: Pennsylvania Clean and Green Tax Program

    Thanks for all of the information everyone. I hope the $11,800 figure isn't a typo or they are leaving something out that I don't know about yet. It just seems too low and too good to be true. Roughly, that should take my taxes down from the old rate of $1300 to $100 or so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hello from Pennsylvania
    By conomark in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
  2. Clean, green, and broke.
    By alchemysa in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 10:51 PM
  3. Price Check Sales Tax Exempt for Clean and Green??
    By funwithahoe in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 09:09 AM
  4. Sales tax or income tax?
    By rozett in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 01:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.