Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H

Default Re: Dangerous animals on the farm

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    [url=http://www.registerguard.com/web/updates/28835452-55/garner-frasier-hogs-coos-county.html.csp]Death of farmer eaten by hogs investigated
    Any fans of the HBO series Deadwood here?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4120

When I was a kid, around 10-12yrs old, I was in the farrowing house on my uncle's hog farm with him. I got a little too careless while grabbing the piglets to cut their tails and clip their teeth. I had a 500lb sow wheel around and grab me by my thigh. She could have simply bit down and took my leg off, but she didn't. She simply tossed me to the side away from her piglets! My uncle didn't have time to get to me, so I would have been a goner if she wanted.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5530 4WD Turbo - Gear,

Had a 200 - 300lb boar come at me as a kid. Picked up a shelled corn cob and smacked him on the tip of the nose. To my surprise he dropped right there - I must have hit a sweet spot on his nose when I smacked him. Knocked him out cold - I thought i had killed the dumb a**. About a min later he got up a walked away. That was a long minute and I thought I would have to tell dad that I killed our breeding boar. Sows with piglets is definitely an animal not to turn your back on. Always went in the pen with a claw hammer for protection from the sows to remove any unfortunate dead piglets.

idaho2

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Mama cows and Bulls have put lots of farmers in the hospital in my community this year. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kioti ck30

lets not forget the smaller dangerous creatures, fall and knock yourself out in a chicken house you may never wake up.

Tractor
    2003 NH TC30

You can't work around animals without being hurt. Being sensible goes a long ways to not being hurt badly. I was polishing the horn on my sister's Guernsey with some emery cloth as a kid - getting ready for a 4-H show, when she swung her head sideways for the flies. She caught the edge of my lip and tore it. 3 stitches local doctors office.
    various items

Tractor
    JD 2720

I got the 3 inch high cuff of my pants caught on a fence post as I was jumping the fence into the hog lot. I ended up with my foot stuck on the fence post and my shoulders and head on the ground. That was about the scariest thing I have ever seen was looking up at 4 sows coming my way!! I don't know how I managed to raise my self up high enough to get my cuff off the top of the post. I was only 16 then and am glad cuffs went out of style so it never happened again.
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Tractor
    2010 New Holland 3045

This guy here was a bad *****. My farmer buddy lets his bull roam with the cows year round. Once they get to 3 1/2 years old they become very protective of their harem and very dangerous. Once this bull laid eyes on you he'd start bellowing and pawing dirt 10' in the air over his back. Very intimidating! I did not take the shortcut through the pasture to and from my deer stands when he was out there!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by GregbkH View Post
    This guy here was a bad *****. My farmer buddy lets his bull roam with the cows year round. Once they get to 3 1/2 years old they become very protective of their harem and very dangerous. Once this bull laid eyes on you he'd start bellowing and pawing dirt 10' in the air over his back. Very intimidating! I did not take the shortcut through the pasture to and from my deer stands when he was out there!

We had loaded 12 Holstein bulls in trailer close to Centralia Ill. and drove to Farmington ,Ark to unload close to midnight.backed up to gate and unloaded the first 3 in trailer and one jumped a 6 foot high pipe fence with out effort. the new owner jumped on his 4 whl'er and followed the bull through and over fences in community until was able to get ahead and turn around and herd back to the encloseure.
    All this commotion and not a light came on in the area to see why the bellowring yelling and 4 whl'er noise was going on.
    All the others acted like they were expected to.
    On another load a bull pushed a man down and would of stomped him if he hadn't craweled in the muck under the fence.
    Some people use a cattle prod to move cattle this usually causes a panic in the herd and then hard to control.
    Best to keep eyes on the animals
    ken

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by CrownHawg View Post
    When I was a kid, around 10-12yrs old, I was in the farrowing house on my uncle's hog farm with him. I got a little too careless while grabbing the piglets to cut their tails and clip their teeth. I had a 500lb sow wheel around and grab me by my thigh. She could have simply bit down and took my leg off, but she didn't. She simply tossed me to the side away from her piglets! My uncle didn't have time to get to me, so I would have been a goner if she wanted.
    The main danger if a hog is behind you has to do with the hogs height, the fact they have to tilt there head to bite a leg, and the location of their tushes vs the location of a human's femoral artery. If the femoral artery gets cut...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast