Dangerous animals on the farm

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
   / Dangerous animals on the farm #3  
I worked on a milk farm growing up (teenage kid). The farm also had hogs, and kids less than 18 yrs old were not allowed in with them. The farmer drilled into us how mean - and dangerous - hogs can be.

What a story...
crazy.gif

- djb

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #4  
I worked on a milk farm growing up (teenage kid). The farm also had hogs, and kids less than 18 yrs old were not allowed in with them. The farmer drilled into us how mean - and dangerous - hogs can be.

What a story...
crazy.gif

- djb

Don't turn your back on any animal.Dogs ,mules,, horses, rams, bulls, hogs .No mater how tame or how much confidence in your ability in working with them.
They don't mean to mash you into the fence just there strength is massive.
ken

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #5  
i cary a gun when in my hog and cattle pens... heck.. I carry around the mules too!

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #6  
The most terrifying critter I ever had after me was a Berkshire sow that I thought was gentle, but she had a new litter of pigs. I was about 11 years old and in her pen running, shouting, waving a stick trying to chase chickens away from her feed trough. As I ran behind her, she whirled around, and knocked me down. I rolled right back up on my feet running as fast as I could with her right behind me. Normally, I could run and jump the fence, but I was off stride and no time for correction. I just ran full tilt into the fence that hit me about waist high and of course I flipped over the fence and landed so hard on my back that it knocked the wind out of me.

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #7  
The most terrifying critter I ever had after me was a Berkshire sow that I thought was gentle, but she had a new litter of pigs. I was about 11 years old and in her pen running, shouting, waving a stick trying to chase chickens away from her feed trough. As I ran behind her, she whirled around, and knocked me down. I rolled right back up on my feet running as fast as I could with her right behind me. Normally, I could run and jump the fence, but I was off stride and no time for correction. I just ran full tilt into the fence that hit me about waist high and of course I flipped over the fence and landed so hard on my back that it knocked the wind out of me.

Bird I can picture it all in my mind. Could of this been just before the school bus arrived and no time to clean up .
Mud from a hog pen seemed to be harder to clean off than the other types of mud.
ken

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #8  
I've yet to be chased or hazzled by a hog ... the thought is always on my mind. I have 14 sows and 1 large 500-600 lb boar. I can't imagine how terrible that would be.

A fight between 2 big sows is a heck of a fight and I sure wouldn't want to be in on that!!

I'd like to think I could get away if I was knocked down ... just never know.

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #9  
Bird I can picture it all in my mind. Could of this been just before the school bus arrived and no time to clean up .
Mud from a hog pen seemed to be harder to clean off than the other types of mud.
ken

Ken, it was dry and I landed outside the pen, except for when she knocked me down, and not a school day. However . . . ., we had square bales of hay in the loft in the barn, had a door up there that opened to the front of the barn, and an old leaky wooden boat on blocks 10 or 12 feet from the barn. We'd just throw blocks of hay out that door into the old boat for the cow and horse. When it rained, if it was blowing from the south, it would blow water under that door. Do you have any idea how slick a thin layer of wet alfalfa hay is on a wood floor?:eek: And sure enough, one morning, I threw a block of hay out, slipped, and threw myself out that door and landed flat of my back in a few inches of mud and cow manure. And that was the time I had to really hurry to get cleaned up and get clean clothes on in time to catch the school bus.

/ Dangerous animals on the farm #10  
I've yet to be chased or hazzled by a hog ... the thought is always on my mind. I have 14 sows and 1 large 500-600 lb boar. I can't imagine how terrible that would be.

A fight between 2 big sows is a heck of a fight and I sure wouldn't want to be in on that!!

I'd like to think I could get away if I was knocked down ... just never know.

When I was a kid, showing hogs at the Fair and Stock Show, sometimes hogs would get into a fight in the ring. The men were always telling us kids to not get between 2 hogs fighting, and the men would try to kick the hogs apart. Many years later, I found that people in that business have gotten smarter.:laughing: The last few times I've seen hogs shown in the ring, they had good sized sheets of plywood in the ring, with holes cut for your hands, and when two hogs get into a fight, they grab that plywood and slip it in between the two combatants. I don't know why no one thought of that when I was a kid.