Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Dangerous animals on the farm

Death of farmer eaten by hogs investigated | Remains of 69-year-old Terry Vance Garner are found in the animals

BANDON Coos County authorities are trying to figure out how a local farmer ended up being eaten by his hogs.

"For all we know, it was a horrific accident, but it's so doggone weird that we have to look at all possibilities, Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said of 69-year-old Terry Vance Garner's death.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Default Re: Dangerous animals on the farm

I found this on the internet. Pigs Consume Human Bodies - ModernGhana.com
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510 w/FEL

I worked on a milk farm growing up (teenage kid). The farm also had hogs, and kids less than 18 yrs old were not allowed in with them. The farmer drilled into us how mean - and dangerous - hogs can be.

What a story...

- djb
    The best things in life aren't things.

2003 Mahindra 3510 with front end loader
    2010 Dixie Chopper 2550 ZTM: 25 hp Kohler, 50" cut
    2008 Kubota RTV900

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by genusCastor View Post
    I worked on a milk farm growing up (teenage kid). The farm also had hogs, and kids less than 18 yrs old were not allowed in with them. The farmer drilled into us how mean - and dangerous - hogs can be.

What a story...

- djb
    Don't turn your back on any animal.Dogs ,mules,, horses, rams, bulls, hogs .No mater how tame or how much confidence in your ability in working with them.
    They don't mean to mash you into the fence just there strength is massive.
    ken

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i cary a gun when in my hog and cattle pens... heck.. I carry around the mules too!

The most terrifying critter I ever had after me was a Berkshire sow that I thought was gentle, but she had a new litter of pigs. I was about 11 years old and in her pen running, shouting, waving a stick trying to chase chickens away from her feed trough. As I ran behind her, she whirled around, and knocked me down. I rolled right back up on my feet running as fast as I could with her right behind me. Normally, I could run and jump the fence, but I was off stride and no time for correction. I just ran full tilt into the fence that hit me about waist high and of course I flipped over the fence and landed so hard on my back that it knocked the wind out of me.
    Bird

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    The most terrifying critter I ever had after me was a Berkshire sow that I thought was gentle, but she had a new litter of pigs. I was about 11 years old and in her pen running, shouting, waving a stick trying to chase chickens away from her feed trough. As I ran behind her, she whirled around, and knocked me down. I rolled right back up on my feet running as fast as I could with her right behind me. Normally, I could run and jump the fence, but I was off stride and no time for correction. I just ran full tilt into the fence that hit me about waist high and of course I flipped over the fence and landed so hard on my back that it knocked the wind out of me.
    Bird I can picture it all in my mind. Could of this been just before the school bus arrived and no time to clean up .
    Mud from a hog pen seemed to be harder to clean off than the other types of mud.
    ken

Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C

I've yet to be chased or hazzled by a hog ... the thought is always on my mind. I have 14 sows and 1 large 500-600 lb boar. I can't imagine how terrible that would be.

A fight between 2 big sows is a heck of a fight and I sure wouldn't want to be in on that!!

I'd like to think I could get away if I was knocked down ... just never know.
    "Throwing a rock at every rabbit that jumps"

sales@caneyagequipment.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Bird I can picture it all in my mind. Could of this been just before the school bus arrived and no time to clean up .
    Mud from a hog pen seemed to be harder to clean off than the other types of mud.
    ken
    Ken, it was dry and I landed outside the pen, except for when she knocked me down, and not a school day. However . . . ., we had square bales of hay in the loft in the barn, had a door up there that opened to the front of the barn, and an old leaky wooden boat on blocks 10 or 12 feet from the barn. We'd just throw blocks of hay out that door into the old boat for the cow and horse. When it rained, if it was blowing from the south, it would blow water under that door. Do you have any idea how slick a thin layer of wet alfalfa hay is on a wood floor? And sure enough, one morning, I threw a block of hay out, slipped, and threw myself out that door and landed flat of my back in a few inches of mud and cow manure. And that was the time I had to really hurry to get cleaned up and get clean clothes on in time to catch the school bus.
    Bird

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    I've yet to be chased or hazzled by a hog ... the thought is always on my mind. I have 14 sows and 1 large 500-600 lb boar. I can't imagine how terrible that would be.

A fight between 2 big sows is a heck of a fight and I sure wouldn't want to be in on that!!

I'd like to think I could get away if I was knocked down ... just never know.
    When I was a kid, showing hogs at the Fair and Stock Show, sometimes hogs would get into a fight in the ring. The men were always telling us kids to not get between 2 hogs fighting, and the men would try to kick the hogs apart. Many years later, I found that people in that business have gotten smarter. The last few times I've seen hogs shown in the ring, they had good sized sheets of plywood in the ring, with holes cut for your hands, and when two hogs get into a fight, they grab that plywood and slip it in between the two combatants. I don't know why no one thought of that when I was a kid.
    Bird

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast