Three post horse fence help

/ Three post horse fence help #1  

johnking

Silver Member
Tractor
1965 Massey 135
My wife and I have recently gotten into owning horses and soon to be cattle. I am scheduled to build a barn and am wanting fencing. I have decided to go with a three board creosote fence. Where is a good place to find the details on building a fence that will work for cattle as well as horses(height, do I concrete all post and etc)? We are planning to fence a 5 acre paddock area connected to the barn for horses but I would also like to be able to put a few cows in there if need be. We will also be fencing more acreage solely for cattle using woven wire.

/ Three post horse fence help #2  
Not sure if you are dead set on the three board fence but we tried that then woven wire and eventually ended up with three strands of Electro-braid and are finally satisfied. In the long run it's cheaper, easy to maintain and in my opinion is less obtrusive and looks better/cleaner. We concreted our posts.....4" round along the run and for bracing then 6" at corners/gates.

The three board and the woven wire needed constant maintenance due to horse damage (and our horses aren't overly energetic) and the horses were getting minor cuts/scrapes as well. Zero of those issues currently. YMMV of course.

/ Three post horse fence help #3  
Johnking,

Thanks for your service in OEF'10 sir.

I have both. I built 3 board, 8' spacing, 6" half round PT posts, tamped earth, no concrete, 16' poplar 5/4" x 6" boards (staggered) along the driveway (where the fence is "permanent", and I have 1200' of electrobraid rope (one top looped to the bottom at the end and back to the start) for the "temporary" fence where I am still clearing the land and building fence.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...se-pasture-fencing-advice-20.html#post2651465

This post is close to the end where there were pictures and not as many n00b questions from myself. I have a number of threads where I'm asking how to be less of a n00b, feel free to look at them :D

Have Fun!

I'm getting ready to start building more wood fence, and even a run-in shed...

Be well,
David

/ Three post horse fence help #4  
Here are a couple pictures you can see how I built the fence...

I put posts on the outside, so my horses won't hit them. I spaced the boards with at least 12" open space between them.

For the electric, I don't have many pics (not all that attractive) but I used a combo of pounded in T-Posts, and step in fiberglass/plastic posts. in some places, I've added nylon line tied to pounded in wooden stakes to provide tension & stability to the step-in posts.

Hope this made sense.

Be well,
David

Attachments

• IMG_8839.jpg
    IMG_8839.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG-20120227-00277.jpg
    IMG-20120227-00277.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG-20111223-00208.jpg
    IMG-20111223-00208.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG-20111223-00209.jpg
    IMG-20111223-00209.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 185
   / Three post horse fence help #5  
David, in the future for the T-posts push them in with your loader, works great.

/ Three post horse fence help #6  
lockhaven said:
David, in the future for the T-posts push them in with your loader, works great.

Lockhaven,

I tried to PM you earlier... couldn't... thats a good trick... PM me how to do that if you would...

I am by myself 99.9% of the time, I can't figger out how to do that without bending them.

I've also already got one that is stuck so hard I broke a small steel cable and pulled the rear wheels off the ground trying to move it... hand pounded too!

Please advise what this n00b is doing wrong...

Be well,
David

/ Three post horse fence help #7  
I was building a field fence and was having issues getting tposts in the ground as well. I took a peiece of heavy wall square tube almost the length of the post going in the ground and welded a cap on it. That would let me use the skid steer push the posts in, and still hit spots so hard it lifted the skid steer off of the ground. Make sure you use at least a 1/4 wall tube other wise i would be afraid of bending the tube along with the posts.

As for fence for cattle, over build over build over build. Are you building field fence or feed lot? For a feed lot you have two choices, a 2 or 3 board fence with cattle panel all set on rail road ties on 8' centers. Other option is three guard rails on rail road ties on 8 foot centers.

I have had to rebuild my feed lot several times, as i have learned what it takes to hold cattle.

/ Three post horse fence help #8  
Lockhaven,

I tried to PM you earlier... couldn't... thats a good trick... PM me how to do that if you would...

I am by myself 99.9% of the time, I can't figger out how to do that without bending them.

I've also already got one that is stuck so hard I broke a small steel cable and pulled the rear wheels off the ground trying to move it... hand pounded too!

Please advise what this n00b is doing wrong...

Be well,
David

I set steel posts by hand, or 3 lb hammer, set the bucket so it is just level 1/4" above, then slowly lower the bucket. Works great. Bucket is like a hammer, has to be level or it knocks the post at an angle.

/ Three post horse fence help #9  
I used the Ram Fencing on the little ladys riding arena. One of the nice things is that the post's don't have to be exactly placed like you would have to with boards.. When a rock or ledge pushed the post a little it was no problem..

We only used 2 strands, but it did go up quick..

4.25 Inch 2 Wire Horserail Flex-Fence | Equine Farms | Ramm Fence

/ Three post horse fence help #10