Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Default Re: Mennonite Produce Auction

After Hurricane Floyd flooded out large areas of eastern NC, I went down with a group of people to help. The water in some areas was just starting to recede. In one small town the Mennonites were already working. The women were setting up and organizing a place to give out clothes. They might have had food too. The men were out working cleaning up houses. The water in this town had just peaked and the Mennonites had already setup shop.

A week or so later, I called up the town and asked what kind of help they needed, and then got a group of men together to go to work. We drove down to the down and the Mennonites were still there. Ironically we met at the "store" the Mennonites were running. Course their men were out working when we showed up. My contact was running late so we were standing around waiting doing nothing. The Mennonite women put us to work.

I guess Idle Hands.

By this time the Baptists had setup with a large mobile kitchen and shower hauled by a semi. VERY nice. They had groups running around working on the flooded out houses and women working out of the kitchen fixing food. Very nice.

I don't know of any large Mennonite settlements in NC so I don't know what state they came from or how they got to that little town in NC but they sure did a great job. I have this picture of them riding buggies and wagons on the main road into that little town.

Later,
    Dan

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by sjerden View Post
    Nice tractor you have there. Looks like a DC. I've got a 47 Case SC in my collection. I've also got a Case grain binder that I plan on putting behind the SC, when I get it running. My icon is of the Allis WD hooked to Case binder.

Attachment 283059
    Thanks. It is a 1945 Case Sc. Its all restored. Yours looks to be in great shape. Did you get it running yet. They are real easy to work on. Out of curiosity what is your serial number. If it starts with 51 its a 47.

Tractor
    2 Allis Chalmers WD, Case SC

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    Thanks. It is a 1945 Case Sc. Its all restored. Yours looks to be in great shape. Did you get it running yet. They are real easy to work on. Out of curiosity what is your serial number. If it starts with 51 its a 47.
    Nope, haven't gotten to it yet. So busy, but would like to get it started. I'll look at the serial number for number 51

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcow View Post
    In the last few yrs have been getting Amish from KY,Ohio, and NYS moving up in the north country. Tons of BIG teams pulling plows and farming. I haul Milk for a living. Got 12 Amish farms on the rte now. Steel wheels on the wagons and milk cows by hand. Nice to have people moving into the area and not signing up for gov assistance and then stealing anything thats not tied down.
    They build some nice barns, too. Like the ont they put up this summer on rt 11 between Stacyville and Patten.

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Do Amish and Mennonite pay property taxes and income taxes like everyone else? I know they pay sales tax. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Tractor
    2 Allis Chalmers WD, Case SC

Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors View Post
    Do Amish and Mennonite pay property taxes and income taxes like everyone else? I know they pay sales tax. Ken Sweet
    Yes, they pay property taxes. I asked and some actually tell me how much they pay. One has about 8 large green houses that he constructed out of treated 4X4's and stretched plastic over. He says he has about $5000 in each one. The tax assessor wants to assess each one at $40,000 because that's what the books says a green house that size is worth. They are just 4X4's stuck in the ground with no foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstpssng View Post
    They build some nice barns, too. Like the ont they put up this summer on rt 11 between Stacyville and Patten.

Thats one of my dairy farmers. That was the second one they built in two days!!! The first one was as big. I have 6 Amish dairy famers in the "greater" sherman/patten area. Plus 7 up in Fort Fairfield/Easton.
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors View Post

yes....
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

Quote Originally Posted by flyingcow View Post
    Thats one of my dairy farmers. That was the second one they built in two days!!! The first one was as big. I have 6 Amish dairy famers in the "greater" sherman/patten area. Plus 7 up in Fort Fairfield/Easton.
    Do you haul from the Kelly Hill Rd in Stacyville? I was killing time waiting to meet someone this summer and went exploring. I was quite surprised to come up behind a milk tanker on what isn:t the best of roads... Until I saw the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstpssng View Post
    Do you haul from the Kelly Hill Rd in Stacyville? I was killing time waiting to meet someone this summer and went exploring. I was quite surprised to come up behind a milk tanker on what isn:t the best of roads... Until I saw the farm.

yes that was me.My home base is over on the Benedicta road.
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12