Generator install plans...

/ Generator install plans... #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
We currently have a 200 amp electrical service. I am thinking of adding a generator to provide backup power.
I am looking at replacing the current meter base with one such as: Power Mark Gold 200 Amp Main Breaker 4-Space 8-Circuit Meter Socket Load Center-TSM420CSCU at The Home Depot (200 amp outdoor meter base with a 4 space passthrough breaker panel) and then using an interlock such as: PowerMark Gold Generator Interlock Kit-THQLLX4 at The Home Depot (GE generator interlock for that panel) to connect the generator to the house electrical system.
Before spending any money on it, I called the town code enforcement officer to ask if that met code. He said that I would have to ask the company who does electrical inspections and gave me the name of the one they recommend.
I called the inspector and (after explaining what I wanted to do) he said that it should be just fine.
Now to see what the electrical company wants to see done to make this work.

Aaron Z

/ Generator install plans... #2  
   / Generator install plans...
The cost is low, and you get the whole house powered up, and it is relatively simple to add to your existing box, assuming you have a double wide breaker space free.
I do have the spaces free in the panel (just). My issues could be summed up as follows:
  • Cost - $150 for a little piece of metal rubs me the wrong way when GE sells kits that fit their current panels for $40 and the parts to replace the whole meter base and add a breaker/interlock are ~$150+tax
  • Convenience - When I hook the generator up, I will also be running power to a detached garage, I would like to run a 30 amp 240V circuit to the garage as well and the outside panel would be nice for that
  • The current wires between the meter base and the panel had water running down them (and are corroded) so I would like to replace them at some point anyways
For comparison, the kit that MIGHT work for my panel (http://www.interlockkit.com/InstrK8110GENewDsn.pdf, haven't measured it yet) is $150, the panel I linked to would be $100, the GE interlock is another $40 and a breaker is $9ish.
Additional costs: Permit is $25ish, $50 for wire (the wire going from the current meter to the box had water dripping down it and is a little corroded, so it wouldn't be bad to replace anyways IF needed, may be able to just run a solid ground) and then there is the inspection cost...
Figure $300 to be up, running and futureproofed with a way to show off all power in the house from outside if needed.
Is it more money? Yes, but IMO, it is a better way to go and down the road when I replace the panel, I will have less work to do.

Aaron Z

/ Generator install plans... #4  
We currently have a 200 amp electrical service. I am thinking of adding a generator to provide backup power.
I am looking at replacing the current meter base with one such as: Power Mark Gold 200 Amp Main Breaker 4-Space 8-Circuit Meter Socket Load Center-TSM420CSCU at The Home Depot (200 amp outdoor meter base with a 4 space passthrough breaker panel) and then using an interlock such as: PowerMark Gold Generator Interlock Kit-THQLLX4 at The Home Depot (GE generator interlock for that panel) to connect the generator to the house electrical system.
Before spending any money on it, I called the town code enforcement officer to ask if that met code. He said that I would have to ask the company who does electrical inspections and gave me the name of the one they recommend.
I called the inspector and (after explaining what I wanted to do) he said that it should be just fine.
Now to see what the electrical company wants to see done to make this work.

Aaron Z

Howdy,
That looks like it will do you very nicely. I would suggest that its not so much the town code enforcement officer, but the Utility is where you want to make sure the unit is OK with. Since it holds the meter, they are the ones to say yes or no.

I would suggest that if your running a simple portable generator thru a 30amp cord, you might put this 30 amp power inlet onto the unit for simple hook-up. It goes into a standard 2.5 inch knockout and has a little spring loaded flap with rubber gasket when not in use.

Howdy,
That looks like it will do you very nicely. I would suggest that its not so much the town code enforcement officer, but the Utility is where you want to make sure the unit is OK with. Since it holds the meter, they are the ones to say yes or no.
That is the next step.

I would suggest that if your running a simple portable generator thru a 30amp cord, you might put this 30 amp power inlet onto the unit for simple hook-up. It goes into a standard 2.5 inch knockout and has a little spring loaded flap with rubber gasket when not in use.
I have a garage ~70 feet from the house (across the driveway) that I hope to bury a cable to so that I can run the generator out there and lessen the sound in the house.

Aaron Z

Howdy,
I asked both NYSEG and RG&E about this via their websites and I just heard back from NYSEG. Here is what they had to say:
Greg from NYSEG said:
After reading through the request I just calling to advise you that the inspectors are ultimately the ones that make the decision on whether or not your work is performed up to code, so if there indicating to you that the equipment that you're choosing to use is acceptable, it is okay to go with the inspectors advice. They're the ones that are going to inspect the service and submit the U L certificate to us to let us know what was done up to code and done safely and we just accept that from them. If we were go by and we were to find something that was grossly un safe that they didn't notice, certainly we would make you make corrections to that but ultimately the inspectors our our final word as far as whether or not the service is unacceptable.

Still waiting to hear back from RG&E (who actually owns the meter).

Aaron Z

/ Generator install plans... #7  
They're the ones that are going to inspect the service and submit the U L certificate to us to let us know what was done up to code

UL certificate.. ???

They're the ones that are going to inspect the service and submit the U L certificate to us to let us know what was done up to code

UL certificate.. ???

In NY the electrical inspector signs off on a inspection certificate which states that you used UL listed devices and practices when they inspect your wiring job.

Aaron Z