Strawberrys

/ Strawberrys #1  

lutt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew
Well, mom is 83 and she is done fooling with her small strawberry patch. She told me I could move them out to my place. I will probly try to do that Monday. Is it a simple dig out and put back in the ground or is there some tips a guy needs to know about moving them.My family and I love strawberrys:licking:! THANKS LUTT

/ Strawberrys #2  
Hi LUTT--I have a 50'X50' (It would be five times that big if we let it!!) strawberry patch that started out as six half-dried up roots that a co-worker gave me. Not sure what variety they are, but they produce like crazy every spring (not everbearing). I think up here it would be too late in the season to transplant, but should work in your climate zone. Obviously, mine were easy--good luck with yours!! Regards, Mike

/ Strawberrys
Thanks, that was the way moms was,just a few plants at the start, I think hers is about 10'x10'.I was in Bow,Washington back at the end of June for about 10 days,some of the prettest country I ve been in.THANKS LUTT

/ Strawberrys #4  
i think its too late to transplant the strawberries successfully unless you cover them to keep it warm enough for them to get established before going dormant. it might work better if you transplanted in the early spring.

/ Strawberrys #5  
PLANTING
Space your strawberry plants 12-18 inches apart in the row. Rows should be spaced 3-4 feet apart. Set plants in the row with the roots straight down. Be sure that planter shoes on your transplanting equipment or hand tools penetrate deeply enough to facilitate proper planting. Care should be taken that plants are set with the middle of the crown level with the top of the soil. Within a week or so, the soil will settle and the soil line should be even with the bottom of the crown. (See illustration.) Avoid covering crowns with soil while you hoe, weed, and cultivate throughout the season.
this was from "the berry guys website". Strawberry Planting Guide - Ask the Berry Man

/ Strawberrys #6  
Strawberries are very easy to transplant, but I agree that it's too late in the year this year. Better to do it in early spring.

/ Strawberrys
Thanks for the advice guys,I may go ahead and wait till spring, in northeast Arkansas we still will have 70 to 80 degree weather during the day,60 s at night for a while,but its falling fast. NOAA forecast for my area is calling for mid to upper 30 s over the weekend:eek:. The problem is that I have to work every other month,and am not at home but live at my job,so I may not hit ideal transplant time in the spring.Mom wanted me to move them in August, but I thought it was way to hot.:thumbdown:LUTT

/ Strawberrys #8  
A quick Google search says Fall is the preferred time to transplant. I would try some now and some in the Spring. That might give you a Spring crop where a Spring transplant will not.

MarkV

/ Strawberrys #9  
Do it now and cover them with some clean straw. You will be fine. Try to take as much dirt with you as you can when you dig them up!

/ Strawberrys
Do it now and cover them with some clean straw. You will be fine. Try to take as much dirt with you as you can when you dig them up!

Thanks Brian,that is what I will try, we usually dont get any winter till later in the year. LUTT