Dane Corn Cutter

/ Dane Corn Cutter #1  

sjerden

Silver Member
Tractor
2 Allis Chalmers WD, Case SC
dainCornCutter-72.jpg

Dane Steel Safety Corn Cutter

This is one of the rarest items in my collection. The corn cutting sled was the first invention that mechanized the cutting of corn. After this came the corn binder (I have one of those also, an IHC corn binder.) The Dain tractor was the fist John Deere tractor.

/ Dane Corn Cutter #2  
gotta love looking at that old equipment.

/ Dane Corn Cutter
It has Dane Steel Safety Corn Cutter embossed around the steel orbit of the front wheel. I guess they meant the two boards that flip up and down over the cutting knife made it a Safety Corn Cutter (in words only) Its a two row corn cutter. A man would stand on it and catch the cut corn stalks and tie twine around them. This is a picture of an old hand-made corn shocker used to hold the bundles together while it was tied with twine.

cornShocker2.jpg

/ Dane Corn Cutter #5  
My father in law used to tell of making a sled and mounting two crosscut saws on the edges with the back of the saw sharpened, it was used the same way and pulled by one horse (old Pete). They would have two people riding the sled and catching arm loads of corn, stop old Pete and law the corn across a wagon to be taken to the chopper and blown into the silo. Talk about a sore back, a week or two of that and it would take the fun out of it. Just thought you might want to hear what came to mind as I read your post and remembered Dad.

/ Dane Corn Cutter
Thanks for replying Ed, Real stories from the past like yours are the best reward for posting in this forum.