East Coast Mountain Lion

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #21  
I don't recommend shooting any protected animal in front of a LEO or PETA rep.

In cattle country there are various laws and selective enforcement but many cattle producers use the don't ask, don't tell approach to pest control. I personally have never documented a loss due to predators. Similarly, I don't shoot coyotes although plenty of locals do. Some make claims of lost calves or whatever but often a stillborn or defective calf will be eaten by coyotes and get blamed for the death. Pet dogs are the worst offenders. When running free they will "pack up" and revert to their wolf instincts. This is a "for sure" not speculation. Many a pet has failed to return home from a nice game of chase the cows and calves.

I would not hesitate to shoot a big cat if it showed an interest in me or mine. If it is just passing through or dining on venison I really don't care.

Patrick

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #22  
There is your answer to all the denial. As soon as you have proof they are here they have to protect them as an endangered species and the anti hunter people would use them as an excuse to ban hunting over the whole area. Not good for hunting license sales.
The lower license sales would not be a problem because they would get federal money to "study" it is the closing of thousands of acres to hunting that scares me. Best to keep sitings quiet.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #23  
Yes thanks for posting that. A good size healthy one for sure !

Boone

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #24  
New York State denied them for years,multiple sightings;claimed they were extinct.As of last year they are"protected".
If they don't exist why are they protected?

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #25  
I would not hesitate to shoot a big cat if it showed an interest in me or mine. If it is just passing through or dining on venison I really don't care.

Patrick

That is unless the cat shoots you first

All their senses are so much keener than ours, chances are he will be aware of people long before we notice him. I suspect most of us who hang out in the woods have been spotted by cougars yet we'd never know it.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #26  
I'm in central Mass-Worcester County-can see Mt. Monadnock in NH. We have a fair amount of open land left, lot of orchards, corn, etc. town borders on Oxbow National wildlife preserve and a lot of land that US govt. owns- (Fort Devins) Have been sightings in So. New Hampshire and within last few months two sightings in town- about 5 miles apart as crow flys so may have been same animal-no doubt these things are around.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #28  
   / East Coast Mountain Lion #29  
I'm interested in this story? Any facts or just hearsay?
The DNR denied turning Coyotes loose but they did. They say that there are no mountain lions but I have seen one and my neighbor has as well. No amazing story to tell.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #30  
My brother in law saw a mountain lion in the center if Virginia, has seen it several times in fact. Others have seen them too over the last 30 years. Game wardens say they are not there, same old story. Or was it that the game wardens are not real, they just look like game wardens, or were they pets that were turned loose.:confused3: Thanks for the pic.