East Coast Mountain Lion

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #41  
A spokesman for the Iowa DNR said last week that a young male can move as much as 100 miles in a day if he has reason to.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #42  
Wow that cat really gets around.
Lion Eyes

Somebody is full of it.:thumbdown:

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #43  
Years ago I asked a older warden that had a display set up at the fiar if there where mountain lions in Pennsylvania?
He clearly stated "NO" and there have not been any in the state for many many years.
I said "So if I shoot one it would not be a problem".
To which he replied ,"No that would be illegal"
I then countered, "But you said they did not exist"
He then grew very silent.

I leave it at that, combined with my own sighting and the denial of Government agency's on many fronts, I suspect there is much more to Puma sightings in PA we never hear about.
Come on, if it was you on the other end of that "discussion" tell me you would have wasted your time trying to explain.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #44  
Wow that cat really gets around.
Lion Eyes

Somebody is full of it.:thumbdown:
another false report exposed, that is why i could not find any news report of it. Thanks for the correct information.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #46  
I think there has always been evidence of a few survivors of the eastern variety in Florida...

The FLA Panther is still hanging on but just barely. There has been a debate if the FLA Panther is really different than the eastern cougar. I read somewhere that DNA studies show that there is no difference between the FLA Panther, Eastern Cougar and Western Cougar. The scientists don't agree on this though.

We are not supposed to have black bears in my county but people have reported seeing them. On the other hand, black bears have been seen in cities to the north and south of us. Kinda hard to believe that the black bears would not be in a rural area compared to the cities that bracket the county. :bear: :D

Later,
Dan

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #47  
In Missouri, the Department of Conservation has set up a "Mountain Lion Response Team:"
Mountain Lion Reports | Missouri Department of Conservation
Confirmed Mountain Lion Reports | Missouri Department of Conservation
There have been 32 confirmed sightings since 1994, including one caught on a game camera in suburban St Louis in January, 2011.
It is not known whether we have a breeding population, these could be solo wanderers traveling the riparian corridors and wild forests abundant in this state.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #48  
another false report exposed, that is why i could not find any news report of it. Thanks for the correct information.

I got the info off another board and remembered seeing this thread a few days ago.
My BS meter went off, because as you stated if true it would have been headline news around the state if the PGC actually confirmed the image.

Last edited:
   / East Coast Mountain Lion #49  
In Missouri, the Department of Conservation has set up a "Mountain Lion Response Team:"
Mountain Lion Reports | Missouri Department of Conservation
Confirmed Mountain Lion Reports | Missouri Department of Conservation
There have been 32 confirmed sightings since 1994, including one caught on a game camera in suburban St Louis in January, 2011.
It is not known whether we have a breeding population, these could be solo wanderers traveling the riparian corridors and wild forests abundant in this state.

One was captured and released a few counties over from me. Cattle farmers in my area have reported seeing them though none of these sightings were verified to my knowledge. We do have the occasional bear wandering through.

Mountain Lion Captured, Released in Southeast Missouri - Yahoo! News

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #50  
The best source for info about the possibility of cougars in the East is from your local Coon hunters.

Camera's have been around for over a hundred years, can anyone show me a picture of a Black cougar?
There are plenty photo's out there of black Jaguars and Leopards.

I have known three individuals in my life that kept cougars for years, one would actually take his female hunting off the leash. None of these fellows ever heard a cougar scream, whistle-- yes, growl-- yes, purr--yes.

Concerning cougar tales the Tail makes or breaks the tale for me. :)

Have fun-- J